Anonymous
A Client is DOUBTING XOOPS!
  • 2004/6/17 20:18

• Anonymous

• Since:

I have a client who I am about to develop a site for, but they dont want me to replace the site. They want to be able to view there site still, but also view the XOOPS site installed on the same domain name.....Is this possible?

Bender
Re: A Client is DOUBTING XOOPS!
  • 2004/6/17 20:35

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

Not sure,

maybe you could put some kind of selection into the index.php or check the order in which their server handles files.

So if for example an index.htm would be sent before the index.php you might be able to construct a selection there.

(selection like - click here for old site ... click here for new site)

But the question is what should happen in the future. Should the newly developed site ultimatively replace the old one when they think its good enough?

In that case it might be easier to go with a subdomain for the developing site. But i think that depends on the customer and expecially his users ...
(They could put a big link for the new site into the start page of the old one for example. So the users would still be used to call up the old sitename and start from there. And when in time the old site is replaced you could just change the config to the main domain name and everything is fine. Avoids any learning process for the users.)

Anonymous
  • 2004/6/17 20:47

• Anonymous

• Since:

Good information. I have tried to set up a subdomain on my site, that already has XOOPS installed. But Have alot of problems. Since this guys site, doesnt have Xoops, maybe the will not be any problems...I will try that..thanx

eq

Bender
  • 2004/6/17 21:19

• Bender

• Home away from home

Whatever you do just remember to check how often your customer does backups of his original website and verify that the backups he hopefully has are really working.
(nice lesson to learn when you break something the customer told you he has backups from. but in the end all backups are worthless due to corruption. Even if it is his fault he will frame you, rest assured. )

skalpa
  • 2004/6/17 21:26

• skalpa

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/4/16

Also, you don't have to install XOOPS at the root of your site...
Most of the time I put XOOPS inside a subfolder so my document root stays clean, and use mod_rewrite if I really need to clean up the URLs used to access my pages.

skalpa.>

Chainsaw
  • 2004/6/17 22:29

• Chainsaw

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/9/28

Quote:

Bender wrote:
Not sure,

maybe you could put some kind of selection into the index.php or check the order in which their server handles files.

So if for example an index.htm would be sent before the index.php you might be able to construct a selection there.

You mean like this?

Go tohttp://www.wowchurch.org to see their site without XOOPS.

If you want to see how the XOOPS site (in development) looks like you go to

http://www.wowchurch.org/index.php

You can do this by making index.html as the default page on the site.

Once XOOPS is ready to go live you change the default page to load on index.php

Bender
  • 2004/6/17 22:46

• Bender

• Home away from home

Quote:

You mean like this?

Go tohttp://www.wowchurch.org to see their site without XOOPS.

If you want to see how the XOOPS site (in development) looks like you go to

http://www.wowchurch.org/index.php

You can do this by making index.html as the default page on the site.

Once XOOPS is ready to go live you change the default page to load on index.php

Thats one way to do it ... yes.

I think it depends on the customer and how much he wants the new site used while in development. If he wants the majority of his users to be unconcerned by the new webpage then he would just give the different url (e.g. use index.php at the end) to those who shall test it. If he wants all users to test it i would place it into a subdomain and just put a link up on the old website to reach the new one in the subdomain like you did with your lower banner. Rule: Make it as easy as possible for the average user.

(Though it took me some time to realize the banner leads to the old website as it is just that 'a banner' and no real mention of 'the original website' or something)

Anonymous
  • 2004/6/17 23:43

• Anonymous

• Since:

"You can do this by making index.html as the default page on the site."

Ok, how do you make index.html the default page? when there is XOOPS on the site?

Basically do you put XOOPS in a folder on your domain..and keep html...the index.html in front?

eq

Bender
  • 2004/6/18 0:03

• Bender

• Home away from home

Quote:

eq_image wrote:
"You can do this by making index.html as the default page on the site."

Ok, how do you make index.html the default page? when there is XOOPS on the site?

Basically do you put XOOPS in a folder on your domain..and keep html...the index.html in front?
eq

This is depending on the webserver configuration of your client. Whatever he uses e.g. Apache, MS II IS ... that should have a configuration option which tells him to look for which files in which order.

Here are two possible configurations (of many other ones possible):

search order 1: index.htm index.html index.php

search order 2: index.php index.htm index.html

Now lets say:

- your customers original homepage has an index.htm
- XOOPS uses index.php

The customer enters "www.blahblah.com"

In case of search order 1: it would deliver the index.htm of the original site.
In case of search order 2: it would deliver the index.php of the new XOOPS site.

Possible backdraw:
Just thought of ... every button like "home" or something which uses only the url like "www.blahblah.com" would bring you back to the index file which is first in search order. This could be a problem.

So on second thought ... i would favor to keep it clean, use a subdomain and link from the original page to the subdomain so the users wont have to worry about this and just move it later.

Although everything depends on the requirements of your customer like i wrote before and have not a clue about.

mikeytheman

hey...out of curiosity...could you setup an index.html with say...a large disclaimer...and have a cookie system so that if they'd already visited and agreed to the disclaimer...automatically move them to the index.php the next time they visited the site?

Login

Who's Online

185 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 185

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits