Mechie
Xoops + Web Server on LAN = No workage..
  • 2004/6/14 16:41

• Mechie

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/14

Yo all. I recently got a broadband internet connection, and have decided to set up a web server now. I recently learned of various portals, and XOOPS came highly recomended. I downloaded it, and installed it, and to my dismay, only people on my network, or people on the internet could see Xoops, not both at the same time.
To explain: I started out with a regualar installation, thinking that inputting my Web Server's LAN IP address would work fine, as it did in HTML. Alas, I was wrong. It turned out that only users on my LAN could see Xoops, while internet users found broken links and images.
This scenario simple reversed itself once I re-installed Xoops, and put in my Internet Web Server address only to find that myself and my LAN machines were unable to access the XOOPS main page, and internet users were able to see it perfectly. Is there a back door to this? I've tried opening the index.php file on the server itself, to no avail.http://localhost:1337/ doesn't work, either. I'm wondering if there is a way to make XOOPS work with two IP addresses. Is this possible? If so, it would be greatly appritiated. XOOPS seems to be an excellent portal, if only both the internet and my LAN could see it..

fatman
Re: Xoops + Web Server on LAN = No workage..
  • 2004/6/14 18:42

• fatman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/13

mainfile.php in the XOOPS root is what defines your websites location. XOOPS needs to know what IP or domain name its running under for everything to work.

Everyone accessing the site should use the same IP. Internal users on your LAN should use the external IP for your web server, not the internal address.

Also make sure your firewall/router or which every device is managing your internet connection is set up to forward HTTP or port 80 requests to your web server.

HTH

Mithrandir

I don't know if this will work, but wouldn't it be possible to do a little processing in mainfile.php to look at the browser's IP and if it is a 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x then it should use the internal address/IP and if not, it should use the global URL/IP?

alternatively you need to setup some intermediary naming service (Not a networking expert myself) to name the webserver with the global URL also on the local network. Something to do with hosts or something... I know it's been discussed somewhere else on these forums.

mercibe
  • 2004/6/14 19:24

• mercibe

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/6/12

I think you should not add any information about your host in XOOPS_URL variable in mainfile.php (no IP address nor protocol, just /xyz or simply /) You should use semi-relative URL instead and apply the small hack described herehttps://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=13171&forum=21#forumpost69343
One day it will be incorporated in the core... I should document that in the XOOPS wiki but I am too busy (not too lazy, trust me )

This is the only way to make a single XOOPS site available from various different URL's.

Please rad carefully the hack wrap-up and I am sure you will understand.

Hope this will help.

Benoit

Mechie
  • 2004/6/15 3:54

• Mechie

• Just popping in

Hmm.. Thanks. Hopefully your hack will provide me with the workaround that I need.
Awesome work!

mercibe
  • 2004/6/15 6:58

• mercibe

• Just popping in

May I ask you to keep us informed of your problem resolution ? It would be nice. Thank you.

Benoit

Mechie
  • 2004/6/15 23:44

• Mechie

• Just popping in

As much as I would like to spend the time troubleshooting code, alas, I cannot. I applied the patches you recomended, and they did not work. I got the same error as usual. Because of this stumbling block, I'm going to go ahead and use CGP-Nuke for now until XOOPS works properly with multiple URL's. I am not a coder, for one, and two, I lack the time to sit down and work on these things. I will be watching from the sidelines, though. Waiting for an even cooler XOOPS release.
Keep up the good work, all. It looks great so far, but I'm not up to snuff yet.

mercibe
  • 2004/6/16 6:55

• mercibe

• Just popping in

This is a bad news... If you are interested I could send you by mail (just send me a PM - private message with your email) a copy of my 2.0.6 version correctly patched (it works on 3 production sites accessed by 4 different URL's). I feel sad that you forget about XOOPS because of that...

Best regards,

Benoit

Login

Who's Online

237 user(s) are online (167 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 237

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits