talon39
Group Block Access Rights.......I'm Confused
  • 2004/6/3 23:53

• talon39

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/6/13

I need to make certain block only visible to certain Groups. At first glance this seems pretty straight forward. I would think I would create the block, then set the block as not visible. Then edit the group I want to see the block and check the box for that block in "Block Access Rights", however when I do this the block is still not visible to that group. However if I change the block to visible, it it visible to everyone regardless of Block Access Rights.
Is it possible to make a block visible to only certain groups? What the heck is checking a box in "Block Access Rights" supposed to do? Doesn't seem to make any difference.

Digiegirl
Re: Group Block Access Rights.......I'm Confused
  • 2004/6/4 0:07

• Digiegirl

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/8/23

Hi,

What you would need to do is make the block visible. Then go into groups admin, and check the blocks that members of each group can view.

That should work, but it sounds like you're doing that, so I'm not sure what the problem might be.

Cheers,
Dee

PS Just thinking about it, sometimes groups such as registered members, by default get access rights to blocks, so might need to uncheck their access. I tried playing with my blocks, and I didn't have any problem with changing which groups can view it.

talon39
  • 2004/6/4 15:33

• talon39

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/6/13

DOh!!!! Nevermind. I see what i missed. I didn't realize registered users was actually a group.

Mithrandir

This is just to rule out everything, so not a misplaced attempt at being funny... but you go to system admin -> groups and click the "Modify" link for the group you want to change, right? Then check the blocks, which should be visible for this usergroup, and finally press "Update group"?

Also - again just to be absolutely certain - "block access rights" does not mean that access is blocked, but that access to the block is granted for that usergroup.

Thirdly, usergroups are cummulative, meaning that if a user is a member of a group, which CAN access a block, it doesn't matter what other groups he is a member of - he will be able to access the block regardless of whether he is a member of a group without access rights.

Edit: Good to see you found it Happy Xoops'ing

Login

Who's Online

196 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 196

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits