mercibe
Re: Xoops and proxy: summary of modifications needed
  • 2004/4/27 13:12

• mercibe

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/6/12

Dear XOOPS core developers,

Is it plan to include the described modifications to the next XOOPS version ? I am tired of doing manual updates to a lot of files each time I want to update my XOOPS version.

These are really safe modifications.

Thank you !

Best regards,

Benoit

P.-S.: I am ready to help you - I am a member of the XOOPS development team (myXoopsforge and WF-FAQ) but I don't know if this is the (preferred) way of doing things.

philroy
  • 2004/6/1 0:49

• philroy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/8/23

I understand the guidelines listed in the quote section (what code to replace etc) but the reommendations near the end have lost me completely. What does that all mean?

And is this issue the same as the issue that I'm having, and have mentioned here (with no answers so far)?....
https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=19986&forum=1#forumpost86160

Phil

mercibe
  • 2004/6/1 8:34

• mercibe

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/6/12

First of all, a couple of questions:
- XOOPS version ?
- OS used: Windows or Unix like ?
- What is the exact (complete) URL you get in your browser when the "Selected module does not exist!" message appears ?

If you would like to work behind a proxy, you HAVE to apply the hack completely (https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=thread&topic_id=13171&forum=21&post_id=69661#69661)

In you mainfile.php you should have something like
// XOOPS Physical Path
define('XOOPS_ROOT_PATH', '/home/wwhusoc/admin2');

// XOOPS Virtual Path (URL)
define('XOOPS_URL', '/admin2');

// Hack
define('XOOPS_DEFAULT_DOMAIN', 'http://www.massey.ac.nz');

One of the common reason for "Selected module does not exist!" error is when you copy files from Windows to Linux/Unix: the access rights are lost and particularly the "x" (executable) on the directories...

You might also need something like that in you apache configuration file:

Alias /admin2 /home/wwhusoc/admin2
<DirectoryMatch /home/wwhusoc/admin2/>
Options +FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride None
order allow,deny
allow from all
</DirectoryMatch>

Hope this will help. For your information I am using this hack on 3 different running XOOPS sites on Linux (2) and Windows (1).

Working with proxies, LDAP servers, etc. is more related to university or corporate environment. Most of XOOPS developers are not comfortable with these "tools". This is the reason why you got no quick answer to your question. But I can tell you that the XOOPS community is one of the most kind and helpful I have ever met on the Internet.

Best regards,

Benoit

P.-S.: I am not interested at all by your donation but I am sure that the XOOPS community would make a good use of it

philroy
  • 2004/6/1 21:18

• philroy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/8/23

Hi there and thanks for your response.
Quote:
If you would like to work behind a proxy, you HAVE to apply the hack completely (https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=thread&topic_id=13171&forum=21&post_id=69661#69661)

If I apply these patches I run into all sorts of trouble. After the main page, all other pages become blank. If I try to bring up the admin page by typing in what I know the URL would be, it says I'm not logged in and shunts me back to the main login. Logging in again brings me to a blank page.

I seem to have more success when I don't apply these patches? So the following comments are related to a standard install. Sorry if this is the wrong approach, but it seems to be the version that is as close to working as I can make it.
Quote:
First of all, a couple of questions:
- XOOPS version ?
- OS used: Windows or Unix like ?
- What is the exact (complete) URL you get in your browser when the "Selected module does not exist!" message appears ?

2.0.6.....I'm copying the files from my Mac running OS X 10.3 to a Linux server.
Here's one example of a URL....basically the system icon appears and (in this instance) I've selected "Preferences" from the floating menu...
http://www.massey.ac.nz/~wwhusoc/admin2/modules/system/admin.php?fct=preferences

Quote:
In you mainfile.php you should have something like
// XOOPS Physical Path
define('XOOPS_ROOT_PATH', '/home/wwhusoc/admin2');

// XOOPS Virtual Path (URL)
define('XOOPS_URL', '/admin2');

// Hack
define('XOOPS_DEFAULT_DOMAIN', 'http://www.massey.ac.nz');

Using either a patched version of XOOPS or a standard one, making the virtual path short produces bedlam....a very long (and incorrect) URL that produces an error.

Quote:
One of the common reason for "Selected module does not exist!" error is when you copy files from Windows to Linux/Unix: the access rights are lost and particularly the "x" (executable) on the directories...

I've tried going through and adjusting the permission on multiple files once they were up on the server. I can't see it being that.

Quote:
You might also need something like that in you apache configuration file:

Alias /admin2 /home/wwhusoc/admin2
<DirectoryMatch /home/wwhusoc/admin2/>
Options +FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride None
order allow,deny
allow from all
</DirectoryMatch>

What does that do? I'm really going to have to convince the IT people in the University before they would be prepared to add any sort of config file.

Thanks in advance,

Phil

asche
  • 2004/6/17 23:40

• asche

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/4/5 9

not only a newbie question ...

Thanks a lot mercibe, you really saved my day and made the experiment of uploading XOOPS from my local Apache-Server (installed with TSWamp) on Windows 2000 to a linux-host a full success (I just cant learn Linux before using XOOPS -> TSWamp was the only possible way for me to become Xoopsie!).

For anybody who finds this thread while looking for error "Selected module does not exist!". I had this error when trying to open items in main menu and also in admin (-> could not open and administrate modules).

The solution for this "seemingly windows problem" was described by Mercibe already in January:
"SUMMARY
To make XOOPS working behind a proxy and/or with the possibility to use a "semi-relative" XOOPS_URL you have to modify two files: /include/common.php (modify two lines as described previously in this topic) and /include/functions.php."
->please search for SUMMARY

I made those two modifications and could open and administer modules again (so you might be able to skip the rest of this thread, if you are lucky -:))).

best of luck ... asche

binary1230
  • 2004/8/4 3:47

• binary1230

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/3 2

FYI, for later readers, this still happens in XOOPS 2.0.7, but the changes only need to be made in cp_header.php and (maybe?) checklogin.php.

Login

Who's Online

243 user(s) are online (158 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 243

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits