Hedgoli
Trouble with blocks
  • 2004/5/26 12:25

• Hedgoli

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/26

I'm having some trouble with blocks. I tried to edit the Who's Online block by FTP but nothing happened so I thought that it might be a good idea making a custom one.
So I did by taking the Who's Online source and removing the objects I didn't want and clicked 'Submit'.
Then it disappeared from the blocks admin page but it's visible on the site(not at the moment since I set the groups to not show them) so I can't edit it. Another thing is that I can't add any other blocks except the ones that we're already visible.

By the the way, does anyone know how I can remove the 'submit news' thing for unregistered users?

rabideau
Re: Trouble with blocks
  • 2004/5/26 12:36

• rabideau

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/4/25

You might try creating Custom Blocks for those functions you wish to modify or create as new functions. Custom Blocks allows you to use html code which will provide a good amount of flexibility.

If that approach does not please you, you may need to write new modules which perform more sophisticated functions.

Hedgoli
  • 2004/5/26 12:39

• Hedgoli

• Just popping in

I don't think you understand, that's what I've done and it worked before untill this time when they don't show up on the blocksadmin page and I can't set visibility for any other blocks.

Dave_L
  • 2004/5/26 13:08

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

On the Blocks Admin page, the menus at the top determine which blocks are listed on that page.

The Groups Admin page is where you specify which user groups can view blocks.

Does that help?

kahumbu
  • 2004/5/26 14:57

• kahumbu

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2003/8/23

Quote:

Hedgoli wrote:
I'm having some trouble with blocks. I tried to edit the Who's Online block by FTP but nothing happened so I thought that it might be a good idea making a custom one.

If you are doing this by FTP, you were probably editing the original template files. You would not see any changes because the template HTML codes are called from the DB. You need to edit them from within the Admin Control Panel.

Quote:

Another thing is that I can't add any other blocks except the ones that we're already visible.

Use Block Administration (Sys Ad -> Blocks) to edit behavior and display of blocks. Use the Groups Administration (Sys Ad -> Groups) to set which group can access which block.

Check out these links:
All users seeing blocks
Modifying Module blocks

Quote:

By the the way, does anyone know how I can remove the 'submit news' thing for unregistered users?

I think this has been answered in previous threads. Try to do a search on this.

[ADD] Try this link: Hiding links from anonymous users

tjnemez
  • 2004/5/26 17:04

• tjnemez

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/9/21

hey Hedgoli

Quote:
If you are doing this by FTP, you were probably editing the original template files. You would not see any changes because the template HTML codes are called from the DB. You need to edit them from within the Admin Control Panel.

you should not edit default templates and probably cannot. to edit templates you need to clone them first. then go back to sys admin -> preferences -> general settings -> and then select cloned template set and update.

Hedgoli
  • 2004/5/26 22:08

• Hedgoli

• Just popping in

Okay, missing block problem solved, thanks for the help.
But I still can't set visibility for other blocks...

Login

Who's Online

266 user(s) are online (178 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 266

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits