Xtracted
Re: WF-Section V2 Beta Now Released
  • 2004/5/2 20:53

• Xtracted

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/1/7 2

Would it be safe to use this module on a public page now or should I wait a while for an updated version?

can I use it and upgrade it later perhaps? I really need a good sections module..

Bender
  • 2004/5/2 20:53

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

Note: This is probably not caused by wf-section beta. I just don´t know.

Did anyone else got a server error 500 with this beta?

I installed this beta twice now and both times i got a problem afterwards with an internal server error and Xoops.
But one after another:

First try:
Basic Information: Running XOOPS 2.0.6 with some modules including wf-section 1.01
- uninstalled 1.01
- made sure all tables were dropped from the database
- beta 2.01 on this installation
- did some config settings in wf-section
- created a first section
... no response,
... pressed reload,
... seemed ok
... went back to main page ... boom server error 500
... same for site/admin.php ... user.php and so on
- restored the database from backup
- deleted wf-section module directory
- still not working

Second try:
- deleted the website
- fresh install of XOOPS 2.0.6
- installed wf-section 2.01 beta
- did some configuring
- created several sections
- deleted and changed articles ... all fine
- just accessing my site again ... boom Internal server error 500
- checked the actual error log:
[size=x-small][Sun May 2 22:13:58 2004] [error] [client 217.9.28.44] Premature end of script headers: /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/789/726/sites/mtv/html/admin.php
[Sun May 2 22:14:10 2004] [error] [client 217.9.28.44] Premature end of script headers: /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/789/726/sites/mtv/html/index.php
[/size]

So i checked those files in the XOOPS root directory and found that
a) the size has changed compared to the original XOOPS package

b) if i do a view file in smartFTP it will show the file in the standard windows editor. Those files now look compressed. Stripped of carriage returns and empty lines ...
(this is not so with another site (xoops2.0.3)

c) if i upload those files like index.php again from a fresh XOOPS 2.0.6 and view them they are shown normal with alle carriage returns and empty lines. And the site/pages is/are working again.

Well now i am left with those observations and additionally the following informations:

- the site (xoops2.0.6) i was using wf-section beta on twice crashed on me (once full site with several modules, once only XOOPS with wf-section beta)

- another site based on XOOPS 2.0.3 didn´t show that (possible) problem with the files within the XOOPS root directory. But i didn´t try to run wf-section there

- problem on provider side: don´t think so. They have a good forum and usually there should be plenty users experiencing problems like this after such time

- server infos: Apache/1.3.29 (Unix) PHP/4.3.4 / MySQL 3.23.55

- the time stamp on the mentioned files like index.php, admin.php were still the times when i uploaded the fresh xoops. wf-section was uploaded one hour later so if it would have done something to the files it should be visible.

Anyone got a clue as to what to look for?

Bender
  • 2004/5/2 21:03

• Bender

• Home away from home

Quote:
Xtracted wrote:
Would it be safe to use this module on a public page now or should I wait a while for an updated version?

Guess you have to make that out with yourself and the importance of your page. If you don´t cry if it breaks down ... I guess no one will answer 'It is safe' to your question.

Just remember it is a beta that just came out. Also not all features are yet implemented. (see first posting in this thread)

Catzwolf
  • 2004/5/2 23:06

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

@Bender:

What you are implying here is pretty serious. I can assure you that this is NOTHING to do with WF-Sections and I am 100% sure of that. WF-Sections does NOT overwrite any other file, either within its own directory nor does it to any XOOPS files.

As for server error 500, it maybe possible, but I have never come across this with this module for a long time. A previous unreleased version has been running athttp://www.gameinatrix.com for well over 5 months now and they have never reported this to me and I have been building this version on the bugs they have found and idea's they have given me on it's daily usage.

If you want me to install WF-Sections on one of your websites and test it out, then I would be only to glad to and this way, if it is WF-Sections then I can improve the script but I am more than confident that your problem lies else where.

Catzwolf
  • 2004/5/2 23:08

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

Quote:

Xtracted wrote:

can I use it and upgrade it later perhaps? I really need a good sections module..

This release is for beta testing and bebugging only, I stressed that in the first post of this topic. Mainly for the reason that I may likely change many things including the database before a RC or full release. That way I do not have to write a update script for a beta.

WarDick
  • 2004/5/2 23:17

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/9/13

I am using this module without any problems in this environment.

Operating system Linux
Kernel version 2.4.26-grsec
Apache version 1.3.29 (Unix)
PHP version 4.3.4
MySQL version 4.0.18-standard
XOOPS 2.0.6
WF-Section V2 Beta

I have not noticed any thing distrubing with it at all.

I have noticed not with this module but with others. That sometimes there is an interaction with modules causing them not to co-exists well with each other. Unfortunately I can not remember which modules these are.

What other modules are you useing?

brash
  • 2004/5/3 4:59

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Hi Catz,

Really loving this. I can see a LOT of potential with this module . Firstly Catz, I love you for adding the document revision and related document features. These two items are two I had identified the need for in my upcoming artle creation frenzy, but hadn't found a module that did it. So thank you for that .

I have not had time yet to go through and systematically test al the functions, but here are just a few observations I have made;

(1)I had issues with a few of the WfSection blocks, but again this maybe a confiuration and/or lack of content issue as I have only created two test articles. Article links, downloads and user ifo blocks do not show at all, and the spotlight block renders my homepage blank, even though I do have a document set for spolight.

(2) Would it be possible to have the auto increment tick box auto set to on when modifying articles? Just might save a bit of frustration in revision control. Also, when you restore a document, it creates the restored document as a new document instead of overwriting the existing document. One more thing with the document resotre management section, would it be possible to list document revisions by breaking them up into their sections? I can just see it becoming a real headach trying to locate a particular document revision once you have several hundred articles all with half a dozen revisions.

(3)Import HTML section. I haven't had time to sit down and try and nut out the settings for the HTML bulk import settings yet, but I seemed to have run into problems when trying to import a word doc. I get a "unable to instaniate application object" error, and have tried from both Word 2000 and Word XP.

(4) When I goto the document downloads section I get a blank page.

And finally a suggestion;

Would it be possible to add an InstantDoc ID to be displayed along with the author, published date, version, size and read times article info display? This could be just the articles articleid number, and then ideally this would be searchable via XOOPS search? One last thing too, the article read count doesn't seem to be accurate. I've viewed each of my test acticles a dozen times or so, but only 1 or 2 hits have been recorded.

Think that's it.....for now

Keep up the good work Catz

Bender
  • 2004/5/3 10:47

• Bender

• Home away from home

Quote:

Catzwolf wrote:
@Bender:
What you are implying here is pretty serious. I can assure you that this is NOTHING to do with WF-Sections and I am 100% sure of that.

Please i hope you take no offense in my post. It was not my intention to accuse you or your great module of anything. Thats why i put the red line above it and went into a pretty much detailed description.

If you or anyone else for that matter are offended by my post i offer an excuse to anyone who is. I´m serious about this.

Quote:
WF-Sections does NOT overwrite any other file, either within its own directory nor does it to any XOOPS files.

Thought so, but didn´t know for sure.

Quote:
As for server error 500, it maybe possible, but I have never come across this with this module for a long time. A previous unreleased version ...

Well as this does actually happen on basic XOOPS files already it won´t be wf-section obviously.

Quote:
If you want me to install WF-Sections on one of your websites and test it out, then I would be only to glad to and this way, if it is WF-Sections then I can improve the script but I am more than confident that your problem lies else where.

Thanks for the offer but for now you have enough to do polishing and finishing this great module anyway. So don´t you waste time on installations for others in uncertain cases like this. I will try to find the reason on my own for now.

Still everyone else who might have any advise for me as to what to look for is very welcome. As this is most likely not a wf-section caused problem please PM / email me so we can keep this thread to wf-section.

Catzwolf
  • 2004/5/3 11:23

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

@Bender:

No offense taken

I have PM'd you and my offer still stands to help you with this problem.

ATB

Catz

Catzwolf
  • 2004/5/3 19:18

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

Quote:

brash wrote:
Hi Catz,

Really loving this. I can see a LOT of potential with this module . Firstly Catz, I love you for adding the document revision and related document features. These two items are two I had identified the need for in my upcoming artle creation frenzy, but hadn't found a module that did it. So thank you for that .

Np I hope you enjoy using it

Quote:

(1)I had issues with a few of the WfSection blocks, but again this maybe a confiuration and/or lack of content issue as I have only created two test articles. Article links, downloads and user ifo blocks do not show at all, and the spotlight block renders my homepage blank, even though I do have a document set for spolight.

All the blocks should be working now, let me know otherwise. The author block works differently from all the other in that it will only show on the actual article page.

Quote:

(2) Would it be possible to have the auto increment tick box auto set to on when modifying articles? Just might save a bit of frustration in revision control. Also, when you restore a document, it creates the restored document as a new document instead of overwriting the existing document. One more thing with the document resotre management section, would it be possible to list document revisions by breaking them up into their sections? I can just see it becoming a real headach trying to locate a particular document revision once you have several hundred articles all with half a dozen revisions.

Fixed he auto incremment tick to be on at all time.
Added an icon in the article selections for article restore and this will only the articles that are available to restore for that article ID. phew hope that makes sense lol

Quote:

(3)Import HTML section. I haven't had time to sit down and try and nut out the settings for the HTML bulk import settings yet, but I seemed to have run into problems when trying to import a word doc. I get a "unable to instaniate application object" error, and have tried from both Word 2000 and Word XP.

Still not been able to determine the problem for this, maybe a path problem. Can you enable debugging and report the error for this.

Quote:

(4) When I goto the document downloads section I get a blank page.

This actually works for me, both in 2.0.5 and 2.0.6. But another user has sent me on the right path with this one.

Quote:

And finally a suggestion;

Would it be possible to add an InstantDoc ID to be displayed along with the author, published date, version, size and read times article info display? This could be just the articles articleid number, and then ideally this would be searchable via XOOPS search?
Quote:

Oh I thought I had already done this, will do for the next beta and I will make it searchable (I think ID already is anyway).

One last thing too, the article read count doesn't seem to be accurate. I've viewed each of my test acticles a dozen times or so, but only 1 or 2 hits have been recorded.

The article count is only incremented with non admin user, can you check this for me. login as a admin and then as a registered user and see what happens.

I have also fixed the problems when updating, the module should update now and also the block templates, there have been other bugs fixes as well.

Let me know how you get on with this version.

Login

Who's Online

203 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 203

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits