brash
Remote Site Monitoring?
  • 2004/4/27 22:56

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone new of a service on the internet that would periodically poll (once every 5 minutes or so) my internet services to ensure they are available and in working order?

I ask as it seems my router has started to act a bit flaky of late, and I have had 3 instances in the last 2 months where all my services have just disappeared from internet connectivity. At first I thought it was my W2K3 server, but I have never had problems accessing my server from within my LAN, so it has to be my router or ISP. And seeing as though everything seems to spring back after rebooting my router, it may well be that.

kaliman
Re: Remote Site Monitoring?
  • 2004/4/28 0:09

• kaliman

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/12/17

websitepulse.com is in florida. Very reliable.

also alertra.com

tl
  • 2004/4/28 0:18

• tl

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/6/23

Those services are pretty expensive when you add up the costs.

Might be better off hosting your site with a reliable host company and let them monitor your site. Unless you have the need of hosting your own.

kaliman
  • 2004/4/28 0:30

• kaliman

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:

tl wrote:
Those services are pretty expensive when you add up.

Might be better off hosting your site with a reliable host company and let them monitor your site. Unless you have the need of hosting your own.

Yes they cost but you must NEVER rely on your own host monitoring. Is like having judge and judged in the same bed

As your web server is in your lan, you can monitor it with this software: eye on site

It is free

hope this helps

By the way, I like hosting at home for my personal site, but for >10 visits a day, I would agree with t1 and would use a good host.

brash
  • 2004/4/28 3:17

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Thanks so much for all the links kaliman, that eye on site one looks very interesting. As I am 99% sure my router and/or ISP are to blame for the outages I speak of, monitoring from within my LAN will have little advantage. However, if I got a friend to set it up to monitor my site from their server, and vise versa it would give me exactly what I am after. And for free !

Half the kick of running my own site is doing all the hosting myself, so there would really have to be an overwhelming need to shift to a dedicated hosting solution before I would do it. Hell it would be a lot cheaper, it is costing me over $100 a month for my 512/512 SDSL connection, let alone the thousands of dollars I've spent on servers, switches, routers, backup tape trives, and UPS protection. I figure that once I get my theme and template system optimised to minimise page weight and http request (under 12 for http requests and under 35k for page weight) my current setup should be capable of serving 1500 visitors (about 4500 page views by current stats) a day. This is basically 10 X what I am getting at the moment so there is a bit of room to move. I just need to get this problem nailed first.

kaliman
  • 2004/4/29 13:47

• kaliman

• Not too shy to talk

I'm glad you found this usefull.

You could take advantage of the 15 free days websitepulse gives you. This will give you a lot of information about possible problems at your site. It is also more reliable than a test from another adsl connection.

Have a nice day

Login

Who's Online

157 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 157

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits