kaotik
Frustration with IE, I'll take mozilla any day of the week
  • 2004/4/22 7:04

• kaotik

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/2/19

I've been hacking away at XOOPS and oscommerce trying to get a new look and something is really starting to bug me:
Things behave the way i'd expect (meaning look right) in Mozilla but IE just never comes out the same way, for ex. a certain number of tables I have aligned up appear ok in Mozilla but I just can't get the same result in IE.

...just venting some smoke off........

Lenny

brash
Re: Frustration with IE, I'll take mozilla any day of the week
  • 2004/4/22 7:15

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Welcome to the joys of being a webmaster

jansen
  • 2004/4/22 7:20

• jansen

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/9 1

Some tables can't be aligned top to because they contain a form like this:

<form action=blabla>
<
table>
  <
tr>
    <
td><input type=text></td>
  </
tr>
</
table>
</
form>

In IE this will show a white space above the table, this is not shown in Mozilla.
You can fix this by:

<table>
  <
tr>
    <
td><form action=blabla><input type=text></form></td>
  </
tr>
</
table>

I think this is a solution to your problem. I the problem was a whitespace above the table. If not please be more specific.

kaotik
  • 2004/4/22 8:08

• kaotik

• Just can't stay away

Thanks for the speedy answers. The problem was actually something I had overlooked:

<table width="750" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0">
<tr>
<td width="750"><div align="center"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">$footer</font></div></td>

I like to build in dreamweaver, it helps me to visually see the end result when building pages, and I didn't catch that the numbers didn't match.

On a separate note, I have a question about preferences:

Do you prefer fixed width sites or expandable (don't know if that's the correct word)?
The reason I'm asking is because I'm creating a new theme and I decided to experiment with fixed width. What is the general consensus?

Thanks

Lenny

Dr3vil
  • 2004/4/22 11:11

• Dr3vil

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/5/10

Fixed. It's nice to know the size of the canvas before the 'artist' starts his or her work!

Mithrandir

In general, I think fixed width is awful. Sure, you can get some nice views there, but when I run the screen in 1280x1024, I hate see crammed up information in the middle (or left) of the screen.

Especially with dynamic content like on XOOPS, I think the best thing is to have dynamic widths as well - but it all depends on the theme itself.

jmass
  • 2004/4/22 15:03

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/18

I don't disagree with Mith very often.... But now is one of those times. Check out fortune 500 websites. They are dominated by fixed width. For more static content I like fixed width. He is right that dynamic content can work better in a full screen sight. That is why a lot of e-commerce sites are full screen, but sometimes it looks "cheesy"

There is a nice balance that I discovered. I create a fixed width site at like 700 or 750 then once I got the look I can extend the header and footer the be full screen. Apple is a good example of a centered sight that has fixed width content and full screen headers. Notes.net used to be a good example of a left justified sight like this, but has now been incorporated into IBM's main sight.

JMass

kaotik
  • 2004/4/22 16:27

• kaotik

• Just can't stay away

What attracts me to fixed width is the sense of composition when it's well done. Here's 3 sites to illustrate my point:

gift from grandma

Just two girls

fv shoppes

I think for a site that doesn't need a forum, news and all the other modules available to Xoops, you can really be creative with fixed width for the simple reason that you know exactly what your designing for.
There is another interesting point of view to this discussion that I was confronted with the other day:
I created a site for a client using XOOPS with the standard modules, photos, news, forum, events. Although design wise I only did some small changes to the basic theme of Xoops, it was a hugh step forward compared to the clients previous site. His colaborators and employees loved the site, but, he thought it was too complicated. Although he does use a computer, he is not tech savey. So this left me wondering; is there such a thing as presenting TOO MUCH information on the initial page? Would this be a turn off to the average joe?

Lenny

Login

Who's Online

198 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 198

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits