jackt
Re: Preparing Text to go in and out of a Xoops DB
  • 2004/4/16 18:59

• jackt

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/6/2 2

Quote:
You separate all DB things so that if there are ever changes (e.g. supporting other databases etc) then you can make all the changes in one place.

That's what I had figured. Most classes done this way in the core seem to have a constructor and 1 or 2 methods, and then a huge handler for all the DB stuff. It didn't look necessary to separate out the 2 when the actualy object class has so few methods generally, but I understand the reasoning. Is this part of the "recommended" method?

Quote:
Feel free to start some pages if you have the time . There has been some talk on dev.xoops.org about providing at least one module written in the 'recommended' way, i.e. using all the core features etc. Not sure what the status is on that right now.

You know I actually would if I was confident what I've been doing was correct. I might just take a core module like the polls and improve on it using the "recommended" way. I've been looking at the various dev.xoops.org modules, maybe 2 or 3 of them are using OOP, and out of those I don't believe any of them are written in the "recommended" way (ie extending XoopsObject AND using initVar, getVar, etc). Not that they're bad, they just don't follow the core classes/modules. I don't know how important that is to the XOOPS core/module devs.

mvandam
Re: Preparing Text to go in and out of a Xoops DB
  • 2004/4/17 20:10

• mvandam

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/2/7 2

Quote:

I might just take a core module like the polls and improve on it using the "recommended" way. I've been looking at the various dev.xoops.org modules, maybe 2 or 3 of them are using OOP, and out of those I don't believe any of them are written in the "recommended" way (ie extending XoopsObject AND using initVar, getVar, etc). Not that they're bad, they just don't follow the core classes/modules. I don't know how important that is to the XOOPS core/module devs.

If you plan to make any significant modifications to an existing module, I would suggest signing up on dev.xoops.org if you have not already done so, so that your work may become a permanent part of the XOOPS distribution, if you wish.

We recognize that most modules do not conform to the core standards. Historically the reasons are due to porting from other major scripts and also because most were written before the core was overhauled.

There has been some discussion on updating one or some of these modules into an 'official example' to help guide others in their creation of new modules or modification of existing ones. I'm sure the module devs would greatly appreciate any contributions to this effort

Login

Who's Online

231 user(s) are online (156 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 231

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits