Mithrandir
Re: Advanced Downloads Module

Quote:

As the old saying goes... time is money, and although it sounds like most of the developers of XOOPS are busy with their internal projects, how does $100 sound for someone to do something?

I agree that it is a useful feature in a very used module, I think you are aiming a bit wrong with a $100 "reward".

True, time is money, but I do most of my XOOPS'ing because I want to and because it interests me (and by "it" I mean e.g. the News module) - if I should get money from doing something, it should be enough to make me prioritise things differently... and I am afraid that $100 just isn't all that much. 1½ hours... which is more or less what it takes to specify the requirements.

I do hope someone will do this - and that they will do it out of interest and not just to get $100.

If we were talking REAL money here, then it's a different deal because then I would personally consider it - because then I would be paid enough to rethink my priorities.

_DISCLAIMER_
No, I am not trying to rip you off and I am not trying to cultivate a pay-to-get-anything mentality, but what I do aim at is that if you pay nothing, you can almost only get more than you pay for - whereas if you pay someone to do something, you get exactly what you pay for. The reason for this is that if a developer is swayed by $100 to do something, he wouldn't otherwise do, he will spend some time on it, but since it is "only" $100, he will most likely (and this is a theory) not do his very best to make a well coded solution - but just a working one, which may be hastily implemented... and then your $100 buys you very little.

If the developer made the enhancements free of charge, the motivation would be to make a good, clean, working module - because there is not really anything else to motivate it.

Once we start talking about REAL money (as in e.g. an hourly wage of $60) the developer would (or at least SHOULD) feel obliged to not only make a working solution, but make a GOOD solution.

i_mdiver
  • 2004/3/26 18:22

• i_mdiver

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/19

You're point is well taken, but I still don't understand why XOOPS fails to have an adequate upload utility for normal files. Photos yes, Word and PDF documents, no. Is there anyone working on such a beast? By that I mean currently working - not something that is a year or more old that is neither supported nor modified since.

One other question - why isn't such a feature regarded as being higher in the priority list of the development team?

Thanks

Mithrandir

Quote:
why isn't such a feature regarded as being higher in the priority list of the development team?

Because the demand has not been as high for such a functionality (upload yes, uploading of non-pictures not so much) relative to other functionality.

kotis
  • 2004/3/27 9:08

• kotis

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/12/23

Quote:

i_mdiver wrote:
One other question - why isn't such a feature regarded as being higher in the priority list of the development team?

This is exaclty what i was wondering too... Almost every XOOPS site out there is using the Downloads module - that means that this module is one of the most criticals and most needed modules for the XOOPS community. I'm also sure that more than half of the XOOPS users would like to have the upload ability instead of just having to search and link files to other places.

I think that if Catzwolf or someone else, just pick up the MyDownloadsRC module and remove the Permissions thing, the module will then be ready to be used as the first stage of an Advanced Downloads Module.

Hey, just someone remove the permissions. No coding, not anything. Uploading works like a charm at that module. Can someone do that? Can someone point me a way to try and do it myself?

kotis
  • 2004/3/27 9:17

• kotis

• Just popping in

While i was looking around at the forum, i passed by this post here "Lykos Syndication FIXED!!!", where a XOOPS friend that made some nice changes to a module, just tries to find a place to upload it.

You see? Everyone needs this functionality - even YOU here at Xoops. A user may complain for something that is not functioning but not for something that is missing. He just learns to live with it and tries to find other ways to do his job. But if you give users more functionality then he will be happy and he will be shouting for the way that XOOPS works - think of it...

mikeh
  • 2004/3/27 9:40

• mikeh

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/1/18

Have to say that to me the module development at xoops.org does seem to be rather hapzarad

Any chance of a "current state" of what module dev is at

carnuke
  • 2004/3/27 9:45

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Kotis,

If you look in the Brasil module pack, you will see a module called uploader. It allows files to be uploaded from a local folder onto your server. It's basic and has no categorisation, but it will give a basis for your request. And yes, anyone will be able to upload files, you can set permissions as with most modules, YOU CAN also reject file type and set size restrictors in the config file.

Richard

{edit) My previous information was incorrect ...You can reject certain file types and limit size of uploads!!!

mikeh
  • 2004/3/27 9:54

• mikeh

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/1/18

There was a hack that turned image manager into a "any type of file" manager, ie can upload non image files but more than likely out of date.

There is a current hack of newbb that appears to offer uploading facilites to the forum, not tested it as no longer use newbb

Myself would intergrate invision and use the forum for storing files,

xf-section also offers a file uploading facility with many mime types

Not ideal and maybe doesnt fit in with what you require.
But may be better than waiting for modules to be finished

kotis
  • 2004/3/27 10:27

• kotis

• Just popping in

Hey mikeh and carnuke, nice try but far away from what this thread is about. We are not looking for way to upload files to our server here - we are looking for a decent downloads module like MyDownloadsRC

Uploader is crap as we mentioned earlier in this thread so... you have to try harder

Mithrandir

Catzwolf is working on getting the MyDownloads RC1 to work as it should and I also think that Hsalazar has stepped up to help, so hopefully we should see something good in the future.

Login

Who's Online

149 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 149

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits