brash
Can this be done with WfSection?
  • 2004/3/17 3:24

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Hi All

Trying to think of a way of identify single articles in WfSection where there is a very large article base, and there might be several articles covering very similar topics so doing a search on keyword won't be accurate enough.

What I was thinking was using the WfSection article number as a kind of instant doc number which I think would work well enough. What I think needs to be done to make this effective are;

(1) Printing the article ID under where the author, data published, number of times the article has been read, and size of the article are currently printed.

(2) Make article number searchable via XOOPS search.

(3) adding a user definable mask for article number so that websites using a restriction on the amount of characters that can be searched on can still search low number article ID's. This mask would also be applied to the article number printed as described in point 1 to give them a uniform naming convention.

For example, a 7 digit article mask would look like 0000000, and when applied to article number 54, the article would be searchable via 0000054 which would also then become the article ID which is printed as described in point 1.

It would be good (although not necessary) if the mask was user definable too, as then you could have something like a mask or append mode system where mask mode acts as above where the actual WfSection article number overwrites the characters specified by the user. The append mode would become a prefix of suffix to the WfSection article number, so if you specified append mode with a 3 character prefix of DOC, then the printed article number as in point 1, and the searchable article number for WfSection article number 54 would look like DOC54 . Obviously this last bit is not essential to this whole idea working, but would be a nice option for webmasters if it could be implemented.

My question is, how hard would something like this be to implement? I don't expect poiint one would be too hard, but points 2 & 3 might be a little different.

Catzwolf
Re: Can this be done with WfSection?
  • 2004/3/26 3:37

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

2 and three have already been done

Not to sure about the 3rd one thou

brash
  • 2004/3/26 7:28

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Catz, you're the man!!!

Ultimately the 3rd point could be dropped as long as there is still a way to use the XOOPS search for document numbers under 100, as by default XOOPS search requires at least 3 characters to search on.

davidl2
  • 2004/3/26 7:46

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Would WF-Sections be suitable to do something likehttp://www.fanfiction.net/ - including being able to tweak the sections, and sub-sections layout to your own format?

davidl2
  • 2004/5/15 0:43

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

bump ;)

Catzwolf
  • 2004/5/15 2:15

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Quote:

davidl2 wrote:
Would WF-Sections be suitable to do something likehttp://www.fanfiction.net/ - including being able to tweak the sections, and sub-sections layout to your own format?

Yes the new version of WF-Sections will be able to do all of the above

davidl2
  • 2004/5/15 8:02

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

CW - I'm awaiting the launch of WFS very eagerly!!! :)

Login

Who's Online

204 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 204

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits