fatman
Re: Google API and XOOPS integrated
  • 2004/3/13 20:39

• fatman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/13

Here is another update

Note: My demo has some issues which I believe are complicated by my theme CSS. Also my server is running really slow which is resulting in time outs when trying to reach google. This is what's causing the blank results.

I've got another demo on a different server over here which seems to be running very well with no issues.

Also note: I added Language support. So you can now search google only for sites that are in a specific language. You'll need to reinstall the module for this, so make sure to copy your Google Key before doing re-installing.

carnuke
XoOgle works fine but ...
  • 2004/3/24 18:03

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

When I search my site (with xoops) it returns the XOOPS categories etc. However Google is also searched and a few results are added between categories!

Seems a bit odd. Have a look and see what it's all about
HERE

Richard

fatman
Re: XoOgle works fine but ...
  • 2004/3/24 22:10

• fatman

• Friend of XOOPS

Hi carnuke, what keywords are you searching for? I will try them out, thanks.

carnuke
  • 2004/3/24 23:32

• carnuke

• Home away from home

Try anything you like, "medicine" will do. Search it with Xoops. You will see a few google results appear after some module categories and before the articles categories. I have modified the search block input form to use a graphic. Here's the modified code for search_block.html in case there's a problem there. Of course, I replaced the original version and tried again, but the Google results still interupt the XOOPS search page.

<form action="<{$xoops_url}>/modules/xoogle/index.php" method="get">
<input type="text" name="query" value="<{$block.query}>">
<{if $block.sl_select }>
<br><{$block.sl_select}>
<{/if}>
<{if $block.lr_select }>
<br><{$block.lr_select}>
<{/if}>
<input type="image" value="Search" name="Submit" src="<{$xoops_imageurl}>srchbut.png" alt="Search" align="middle" />
<a href="<{$xoops_url}>/search.php"></a></form>

Regards, Richard

fatman
  • 2004/3/25 3:17

• fatman

• Friend of XOOPS

what your seeing is normal. Google results still show when you select XOOPS search, the results are just displayed in the default XOOPS search result page instead of the xoogle search resutls page.

When a XOOPS search is executed it in turn search all your XOOPS modules which has search enabled in their xoops_version files. The order that these results show up in I think has something to do with the wieght you give them in the XOOPS module admin.

WarDick
  • 2004/3/25 5:04

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/9/13

I think the correct answer is. It is shown in the search because XooGle is a module and thus qualifies to be searched. Could we not search it?

What about more navigation choices like on Google at the bottom the numbers.

carnuke
  • 2004/3/25 8:09

• carnuke

• Home away from home

Thanks for your comments: I appreciate that Googles API will be searched and added and this is a neat way to give comparable results. My only real query is that the ORDER seems a bit odd. XOOPS results should really precede Googles' with this option selected. I will play with module orders then, although I suspect it will change menu entries as well.

Richard

WarDick
  • 2004/3/25 8:36

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/9/13

It does search in the menu order.
It would be nice if admin panel had a selector for which modules to be searched. ie on/off switches
Also order control for what gets searched first.

carnuke
  • 2004/3/26 9:30

• carnuke

• Home away from home

Yes, a module selector and weight order for search results. XoOgle already offers a huge enhancement to the XOOPS search tool, so I am very happy; maybe the next version could have these extras?? The thing is, before you know it, there will be requests for images only "a la google" google advanced search and ...etc. Where do you stop? Im not even sure how far one can go using API

Richard

fatman
  • 2004/3/26 16:16

• fatman

• Friend of XOOPS

Thanks to Herko and Predator I've started a XoOgle project page over at the XOOPS module development forge.

click here for the XoOgle project page

I invite anyone to use the bug/feature tracker here to provide ideas and suggestions for future versions of XoOgle.

Turning the module functions into class methods and properly extending the XOOPS class structure is the next big step 1.

After that I was kind of thinking of re-creating Googles advanced search page and user preference page.

I appreciate the great feedback and ideas thus far.

Login

Who's Online

188 user(s) are online (153 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 188

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits