wf4sure
500 server error...
  • 2004/2/27 19:18

• wf4sure

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/2/12

I had a problem with a blank screen when I first installed Xoops. Then I installed it successfully on a different server, but got the blank screen again when playing around with themes. Later, I reistalled it and this time didn't mess with things until I had a pretty good idea what they were for. And it's been working great! But today--out of no where--there's the blank screen again. Well, not exactly--this time it says 500 server error. The only life I can see is if I enter an admin url, a banner flashes up telling me I'm not allowed there.

Yesteday, I was changing the XOOPS poll to one of my own and then commenting on my own answers to the poll. It was working great. The only thing I can think of that I did that might have affected it was changing something in the general (?) settings that said "(x)yes" to updating something, but that it should not be turned on after the site went live. Any ideas?

I noticed today in my searches that someone said register_globals needed to be on. Mine are not on. What features does that effect? What about the security risks associated with it? Is it possible to use it with them off? Thanks in advance...

wf4sure
Re: 500 server error...
  • 2004/2/27 23:09

• wf4sure

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/2/12

OK--false alarm... or something... It's working now! I was worried because both of my other scripts on that server were working fine. A cgi script in another directory on that same domain and a php script running in a sub-domain. But Xoops, which had been working flawlessly, just wouldn't hit a lick. Then, after several hours, I tried it again and--voila!--it's working!

I am still interested in any insights people may have on this. Is it my server, my crappy dial-up connection (cable to be installed next week!), or sun-spots?

Also, I am still interested in the effect of register_globals being off. I have the following modules installed: News, Forum, Links, FAQ, POLLS, Contact Us.

Also, the item I mentioned in the earlier post that I had turned on in the general settings was this:

"Update module template .html files from themes/your theme/templates directory?"

FYI...

Login

Who's Online

86 user(s) are online (26 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 86

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits