wcrwcr
XOOPS in Intranet
  • 2004/2/4 5:05

• wcrwcr

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/12/12

Hi Guys

Can you help me pointing me a good step by step tutorial on installing and using XOOPS on a Intranet invironment?

I have to install XOOPS on a 5 pc?s windows lan and I?m a little bit confused on how to access my home from the others computers than the server.

I?m planning to use EasyPHP as my package.
So for instance on the server I write the url http://localhost/www/xoops and I?ll go into my site, ok?

What?s is the URL that I have to point to from the others pc?s to access my home.

I?m new to this kind of thing, so any help, words of wisdom or enlightment will be highly appreciated.
Thanks

robekras
Re: XOOPS in Intranet
  • 2004/2/4 6:38

• robekras

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2002/12/10

Name you intranet server for example intranet

If you have no DNS server running within your intranet,
write an entry into the hosts file within Windows (for every PC, also for your webserver).
Something like:
192.168.0.12 intranet

If you have already installed XOOPS on your intranet server change within you mainfile.php from localhost to intranet.
Or if you do a fresh install provide the information within the installation process:

Do a search for 'Windows hosts file' with google to learn about the hosts file

wcrwcr
  • 2004/2/4 13:57

• wcrwcr

• Home away from home

Hi, as I said, I?m new to all this.
So, would you be more specific, please

Mithrandir

could also just put in the local IP of the server into the URL when installing from one of the LAN computers.

Using XOOPS from the server itself may be a bit tricky, though, dunno if the hosts file changes that?

jmass
  • 2004/2/4 15:18

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/18

Hello,

This is just to expand upon the other explanations since you asked for specifics.

Edit the hosts file on the server to include the name on the XOOPS server and 127.0.0.1 The layout will be self explanitory. This file is usually at:
WINDOWS NT - C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\HOSTS
WINDOWS 95 - C:\WINDOWS\HOSTS
WINDOWS 98 - C:\WINDOWS\HOSTS
(or do a file search for "hosts" with no extention)

Edit the hosts file on each client to resolve the name of the XOOPS server and the internal IP of it.

Either install the XOOPS system using the server's name as part of the URL in the install, or modify the mainfile.php if you already did the install with localhost.(BTW: Is their really a good reason to have this hardcoded? Every othe CMS/Portal I have used did not build refers this way. It is not a big deal but requires this type of tweaking.)

That should do it.

Jason

DonXoop

The mainfile setting indeed restricts things a bit but I vote for keeping security top of the list. It may be a little more difficult to adjust things for unusual environments but all things are doable.

The hosts file thing works fine and I use it to force my connection over a VPN to the server but that is another issue that works fine for me.

The better way is to install a DNS server on an intranet. The web server itself is a good place if you can't spare another box. If all internal users point at this DNS you get all kinds of benefits such as solving the intranet/internet issues, speeds up DNS queries for everyone including getting to anywhere else on the internet, and might be safer having a real server query and cache DNS.

I don't run Win2k or anything MS but I'm assuming Win2K has a DNS server available. Let the server do most of the work.

wcrwcr
  • 2004/2/5 11:16

• wcrwcr

• Home away from home

Hey Guys

Thanks a lot for all the help.
I?ll do a mix of all those tips and post the results here.
Thanks very much

Login

Who's Online

902 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 902

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits