Brad
Re: Help with Switching between Javascript and Html Menu
  • 2004/1/28 21:13

• Brad

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/12/4

Just visited your site and liked your menu. I'm using the Tigra menu on my forthcoming site as well. I very much like it.

Question: Did you hardcode the menu options or do they come up based on permissions?

Brad

npetreley
  • 2004/1/28 21:30

• npetreley

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/12/9

I got HVMenu working on my site by inserting it all within the head section, and it has a lag on my site, too.

However, to really make it useful I had to modify header.php to include a program I wrote called topmenu.php, which generates the menu dynamically (so that users logged in get a different menu than someone who isn't logged in, and admins get a still different menu). Then it returns the javascript/etc code back to the theme as a <{$variable}> thingy.

Check out how it works on my site at VarLinux

IMO, the XOOPS team should put a generic "include generic.php" at the end of header.php, so that people don't have to modify XOOPS files in order to do this sort of thing. I don't know any other way to use PHP to dynamically generate something that gets put in the head section of the HTML page via the theme.

Chainsaw
  • 2004/1/28 23:10

• Chainsaw

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/9/28

Quote:

BPJones wrote:
Just visited your site and liked your menu. I'm using the Tigra menu on my forthcoming site as well. I very much like it.

Question: Did you hardcode the menu options or do they come up based on permissions?

Brad

Yup, I hard coded it into my Theme.html file. But the menu items are coded inside a tigra folder. I'm not much of a PHP expert. Infact I'm thinking of buying a "PHP for Dummies" manual.

Brad
  • 2004/1/29 2:50

• Brad

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:

Do you realize that you have no link on your main page (or any other page I visited) to actually register on your site? I had to use my uncanny ability to manually type http://www.varlinux.org/vl/html/register.php to become registered.

Further, I have yet to see a menu on your site. Not while anonymous. Not while registered.

I feel cheated and even a little dirty.

Chainsaw
  • 2004/1/29 3:31

• Chainsaw

• Quite a regular

Quote:

BPJones wrote:
Quote:

Do you realize that you have no link on your main page (or any other page I visited) to actually register on your site? I had to use my uncanny ability to manually type http://www.varlinux.org/vl/html/register.php to become registered.

Further, I have yet to see a menu on your site. Not while anonymous. Not while registered.

I feel cheated and even a little dirty.

Isn't that at the top next to "Home"? There is a "Register" link there.... unless that was added after your response...

Chainsaw
  • 2004/1/29 3:33

• Chainsaw

• Quite a regular

Oooo what browser are you using? Hehehe might not be Netscape/Mozilla or Linux browser friendly....

Brad
  • 2004/1/29 3:46

• Brad

• Not too shy to talk

Indeed, Chainsaw... After seeing your message, I fired up my dusty copy of IE and revisited the site. Sure enough, there was the menu atop the page. My primary browser is the Mozilla derivative, Firebird. Apparently the site is a bit IE-biased.

Chainsaw
  • 2004/1/29 3:55

• Chainsaw

• Quite a regular

Hence why Tigra is so much better. Not only is it easier to understand the codes, easier to configure (and free), it works on IE, Netscape, Mozilla and Opera.

Post edit: FYI. I fired up my Mandrake Linux box and check the site

Works on Konquerer and Galleon.

On Mozilla (Linux), the left column is centered vertically so there is a huge empty white space on the left side. You need to scroll down to the middle before you can see the login block.

npetreley
  • 2004/1/29 4:27

• npetreley

• Just popping in

I hard coded it such as:

if ($xoopsUser) {
show these options...
}

But I only did it that way because it was expedient. I'm going to rewrite it based on permissions when I get the time.

npetreley
  • 2004/1/29 4:29

• npetreley

• Just popping in

The Register menu link was there to begin with. Some browsers don't display the menu. Konquerer is one of them. It works for me in Opera, Mozilla, Netscape 6, and IE.

Login

Who's Online

207 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 207

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits