totoff
Module-wide Cache, Help me ! !
  • 2004/1/23 9:49

• totoff

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/1/20

hello I'm christophe cousinier and I'm a french trainee in a developpement company and I work on XOOPS project. I would like to understand the XOOPS operation and I'm blocked on the Module-wide Cache.

Is somebody could explain to me the Module-wide Cache system ?

ps : sorry for my english

Dave_L
Re: Module-wide Cache, Help me ! !
  • 2004/1/23 16:21

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

I assume you are asking about Control Panel >> System Admin >> Preferences >> General Settings >> Module-wide Cache.

As far as I can determine, if one of the modules is set to "No Cache", then that setting will not override the cache settings for individual blocks. The individual block cache settings will be used (Control Panel >> System Admin >> Blocks >> Edit > Cache lifetime).

If a module-wide cache is set to something other than "No Cache", such as "5 minutes", then that setting will be used for all blocks within that module, regardless of the individual block cache settings.

This is handled in header.php:

if (xoops_getenv('REQUEST_METHOD') != 'POST' && !empty($xoopsModule) && !empty($xoopsConfig['module_cache'][$xoopsModule->getVar('mid')])) {

I think the option "No Cache" is misleading here, and should be changed to "No Override".

Please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

DonXoop

I think you're right about the cache precedence. Confirmation is appreciated as it is important to get it right.

One thing to note about cache system wide or block specific is that you want to carefuly check that any cached content is the same for all users/groups for that content.

For example if you cached Recent Forum Messages or the Forum Module and you have any private groups/forums you will soon get a cache showing data that another group/user shouldn't see. They won't be able to view the message details but having the topic listed can be hazardous to your reputation. In this case you should not cache this.

Same for the main menu and many other places that is dynamic based on user rights.

totoff
  • 2004/1/23 16:46

• totoff

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/1/20

Can I use the Module-wide Cache system to stock XMl page in relation with a specific module ?

Login

Who's Online

124 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 124

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits