tinaB
Two of same module?
  • 2004/1/18 22:46

• tinaB

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/14

Hi!! I tried to find the answer without bugging anyone...but no luck...

What I'm trying to do is figure out if i can have two instances of the same module installed for different uses... For example, sections or news. (This is going to sound very stupid).

I'm not sure if this is even the way to do it, but kinda like this site here using Xoops, has several menus down the left hand side, or what looks like different menus, could very well be blocks made to look menus, i dunno im slow today.

I'd like to see if someone could help me with one of the following two options...

1. install more then one instance of a module.
2. create pages of my own using 'sections' and have them lsited on the main menu, rather then in main menu > sections > so and so page..
see?

Any help would be great :)

Thanks!!

Bassman
Re: Two of same module?
  • 2004/1/18 23:14

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/5/23

Tina,
You can make duplicate modules, but it involves renaming all the fields in the database for the duplicate etc, which sounds very complicated if you don't know MySQL like me.

How I did it, was make pages using Freecontent (or CJay Content etc), then make a menu block with links to the pages. Or you could wrap your HTML in PHP (see the Wiki for details)

carnuke
  • 2004/1/18 23:39

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Tina, First of all it's our pleasure to help you Please don't appologise for asking any questions here! You should see some of the 'dumb' questions I asked 3 months ago and still do when my brains asleep ...

OK, you can easily create a list of links to make a menu in the customs sections block. Just keep the layout simple. You can link to anything within the site with a URL, ie modules, articles, or whatever. Come back to the forum and ask again if you get problems.

Richard

kevinv
  • 2004/1/18 23:43

• kevinv

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/1/4 1

Quote:
You can make duplicate modules, but it involves renaming all the fields in the database for the duplicate etc, which sounds very complicated if you don't know MySQL like me.

Isn't easier just to modify the duplicate to use a new table in the database rather than renaming all the fields?

Not that this would be an easy task, but it's got to be simpler than finding every line of code calling out a particular field.

I think you can accomplish this for the news module by editing the xoops_version.php and give some new table names. Then just install the new module.

Hmmm, does module code reference the names in the xoops_version.php or are they hard coded. If hard coded you might be able to slip in some code to modify the XOOPS table prefix and not have to change anything else in the module.

Bassman
  • 2004/1/18 23:48

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

As I said, I don't know MySQL at all..... there's probably easy ways to do it, if you know what you're doing.

Bassman
  • 2004/1/19 2:58

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

There's also a package of cloned modules available here which might suit your needs....

tinaB
  • 2004/1/20 21:58

• tinaB

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/14

Thank you guys for the help :) I have installed the FreeContent module to the website, and it's great! Does exactly what I wanted it to do :) Just have to figure out now how to load two versions of it on teh same website... Im so needy!!

Again, thanks so much for the help :)
Psst bassman don't I know you from somewhere? I think you rescued me once before ;)

Login

Who's Online

252 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 252

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits