kaper
Notification for all comments
  • 2004/1/3 18:04

• kaper

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/4/26

You may configure notifications to be notified about all new content (you must set it up in every module, but it's not a big problem).

Is it possible to enable being notified about every new comment? By now I must turn it on separately for each item (e.g. news message).

I mean something similar to that in newbb - a global option "notify about every new post".

Kaper

Mithrandir
Re: Notification for all comments

It would mean that you should hack each and every module using the comments to do this. Not only news uses comments and they all (AFAIK) use the same approach. Currently it is not possible to be notified of every new comment - possibly because notifications are generally on the module level or connected to module items (news post, forum post, section article etc.)

CBlue

Great idea, Kaper! Plus, I'd like to be able to actually have a comments page. A page that people can browse to read every single comment ever made on my site, if they want too. It would make things a lot simpler than having to go to every module that has comments in it to read all comments on a site.

I guess this thread should be in feature request?

Mithrandir

Showing the comments is not that easy. Well, showing the comment text is easy (just use your own advice regarding viewing notifications statistics ) but I'd think it was a lousy implementation if I couldn't e.g. jump to the news page of the news item, I'm reading comments to.

Deciding which module the comment is connected to is no problem, but figuring out which kind of item in that module is not so simple, I think.

mikeh
  • 2004/1/3 18:53

• mikeh

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/1/18

reference the "view comments page"
think the main meat is allready done via
the comment manager in system admin

shouldn't take that much to transfer it to a module
should it ? :)

Mithrandir

Didn't even notice that function before

if it wasn't for the fact that the functionality is in the admin section, this could be used elsewhere, too. But copying the code somewhere else shouldn't be too hard, either (I'm a big fan of code re-use, though ) and it wouldn't be easy to make a direct link to or even title of the ITEM this comment is connected to.

Good point, though

CBlue

Yes, admins can view all comments in the comment manager and that is a great thing. I'd just like my users to be able to browse all the comments too, because you really can't fit too many in the recent comments block on your front page unless you wanted your front page to be only comments. So it would be great for users/visitors to be able to catch up on all the latest comments by having a page to browse.

Like this site for instance. You go away for a few hours sometimes and find a ton of new comments to read and they don't all fit into the recent comments block so you have to go and click on every single news link, or go to a modules page to find every single new comment made while you were away from the site.

mikeh
  • 2004/1/3 19:32

• mikeh

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/1/18

thinking about it
there was a view all comments module for earlier xoops, think was from one of the far east sites

suppose a quick dirty way to do it would be a clone "recent comments" center block showing in a empty module

kaper
  • 2004/1/3 20:13

• kaper

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/4/26

Quote:
You go away for a few hours sometimes and find a ton of new comments to read

Ah, it reminded me to ask one more question . Now comments are out of the scope of the search engine. It would be a great feature to enable searching comments, not only articles.

Kaper

Login

Who's Online

144 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 144

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits