Re: Redhat and MySQL bad for us...
  • 2003/12/12 12:06

• blaed_

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/4/6 4

Quote:

RicoCali wrote:
Quote:

Although if you've seen the XOOPS code I guess you may be considered "contaminated".

There's alot of truth to that...I would not touch GPL with a ten foot pole if I had a multimillion dollar operation. Wouldnt want to take that risk.

The GPL in this case doesn't have anything to do with it. If you're familiar/have seen the XOOPS code and then go write something with similar functionality, you could be open to accusations of apropriating code (really, it's hard NOT to do in some cases). This is an issue with any license (unless the code in quesiton is under an open source license and you're relesing your own code compatible license terms)

That's why you have the "clean room" aproach when companies reverse engineer. They have one team disassemble and work out the protocol/product. Document it fully (without code) and pass it into a second team to implement.

Mithrandir

Quote:

blaed_ wrote:
Quote:

RicoCali wrote:
Quote:

Although if you've seen the XOOPS code I guess you may be considered "contaminated".

There's alot of truth to that...I would not touch GPL with a ten foot pole if I had a multimillion dollar operation. Wouldnt want to take that risk.

The GPL in this case doesn't have anything to do with it. If you're familiar/have seen the XOOPS code and then go write something with similar functionality, you could be open to accusations of apropriating code (really, it's hard NOT to do in some cases). This is an issue with any license (unless the code in quesiton is under an open source license and you're relesing your own code compatible license terms)

Would be very easy to get accused of something similar. I am finishing up a project for the University, where I have used XOOPS heavily - the SMARTY approach with header, footer and all (but that's really more SMARTY than it's an XOOPS trademark, I'd say). However, I have used the Database and MySQLDatabase classes as well as the PHPMailer (although afaik, that one is also a GPL released stand-alone class implemented in XOOPS in the same way as SMARTY).

Luckily, I don't really have to bother much about it, since it won't be released, but if I did, I guess I'd have to keep the XOOPS comment information in the Database classes and use the GPL.

nocjock
  • 2003/12/12 14:42

• nocjock

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/1/3 1

There appears to be another option coming up too.
UserLinux

Login

Who's Online

109 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 109

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits