DonXoop
Re: Redhat and MySQL bad for us...

Quote:

RicoCali wrote:
I would have to agree with you there. I've seen sites running JSP and ORACLE and it doesn't come remotely close to PHP/MySQL combo. But what about Transaction Processing. How do you deal with that since MySQL does not support it?

For my apps I don't need TP. I do it in code and that is what they paid me for. What I needed was speed.

Here's something a lot of the big sites do; they run their massive big dollar databases and put MySQL in front of it as a caching server for public web access and security.

gstarrett
  • 2003/12/11 21:10

• gstarrett

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/3/12

Quote:
I'm now leaning towards FREEBSD and POSTGRESQL. Problem is we don't have that middle layer to support POSTGRESQL and would be happy if there is any news in terms of where the CORE developers are going with this.

With RH splitting to Fedora and RH$, I'm rethinking my server OS decision too. A friend highly recommended FreeBSD as an extremely stable OS to start from. I don't know much more about it other than "more stable than Linux" sounds fine (I'm happy with Linux's stability already!). Since I don't need the latest drivers for sound / 3d video / etc. on my Linux server then FreeBSD is sounding like a good way to go.

rider
  • 2003/12/11 22:41

• rider

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/6/18

I kind of sorta use FreeBSD with XOOPS.

I use MacOS X as my development server for testing modules and themes before uploading them to my live site which I believe is RedHat.

It works very well using MacOS X but then Apple made it so easy to actually setup so I don't know what the full blown system is like.

FreeBSD is such a pig to setup.

Try Mandrake 9 or something like that if you want a free hassle free *NIX to use. It has Apache, PostGre, MySQL, PHP etc.

Big_Bro
  • 2003/12/12 0:58

• Big_Bro

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/26

I asked you a serious question Rico. I was just trying to establish that I'm not a platform holy-roller, but feel free to jump straight into personal insults at any time.

Merry Christmas, Rico.

bentley
  • 2003/12/12 1:13

• bentley

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/11/3

I find FreeBSD stable. Altough coming from Redhat, it will be a little d\more difficult, and fuseterating to install. I about kicked my computer out the windows. However, read a little bit and it becomes easy to install when you get the basics. It's stable and fast and used by Yahoo!, and even Hotmail for a while. I like redhat, however becuase of the fedora thing, I am rethinking as well. Can't really blame them for wanting to make some money, however I'd hate to see them turninto another Sun.

Solaris is a great OS, just expensive cost wise (w/ hardware and everything). You can use the intel version, however I have heard mxed reviews and don't know much about it.

If you looksing for something safe and secure, and that has a prety large user base cmpartively speaking, try out FreeBSD

bentley
  • 2003/12/12 1:16

• bentley

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/11/3

Mac OSX is based on FreeBSD. seems to work well for Mac users.
Some may argue about Mac OSX not really being a unix type OS. However fact of the matter is, it is. It has a BSD kernel, uses unix command line utilities and other stuff.

blaed_
  • 2003/12/12 3:15

• blaed_

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/4/6 4

Quote:

Thats a very interesting concept. But to what extent? What if I wrote my own version of XOOPS but every line of code is different. Nevertheless, it looks, smell and taste just like XOOPS? Does it have to be release as GPL? Also, copyrights...Does ONO really own the copyrights of XOOPS since it was derived from PHPNUKE?

A re-implementation is safe, although you'll need to make sure all the libraries you use are non-GPL (LGPL is fine). Although if you've seen the XOOPS code I guess you may be considered "contaminated".

As for the PhpNuke, there's probably still some shared code somewhere (text sanitiser?). Anything the core group wrote is their own, but if it's a derivitave work of PHPNuke they need to abide by their licensing (GPL? BSD? Never looked at nuke, so couldn't say). That's not to say it's not possible to relicense, but the relicensing must be compatible with the old license. For example I believe it's possible to relicense BSD code as GPL (?) but not the other way round.

hrac
  • 2003/12/12 6:09

• hrac

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/7/15

I advise Mandrake Linux (latest version is 9.2) or RedHat Fedora project, if you don't want to pay money for Linux distributions. Links are:
http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/
http://fedora.redhat.com/

RicoCali
  • 2003/12/12 7:05

• RicoCali

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/7/29

Quote:

hrac wrote:
I advise Mandrake Linux (latest version is 9.2) or RedHat Fedora project, if you don't want to pay money for Linux distributions. Links are:
http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/
http://fedora.redhat.com/

Thats good to know...thank you.

RicoCali
  • 2003/12/12 7:08

• RicoCali

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/7/29

Quote:

Although if you've seen the XOOPS code I guess you may be considered "contaminated".

There's alot of truth to that...I would not touch GPL with a ten foot pole if I had a multimillion dollar operation. Wouldnt want to take that risk.

Login

Who's Online

197 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 197

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits