pasdar1
Event Registration- to Microsoft Access database
  • 2003/12/4 19:00

• pasdar1

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/10/6

Hello,

Our Organization is having a Seminar and we want to provide a link on our site to something with fields like 'Name' 'Age' 'number of kids' 'Number of days staying' etc... on it which people attending could fill out and then submit to us. We want this information to go into a microsoft access database; is there any sort of module that would let me do that? How about a php script that I could put in my XOOPS site?

In other words, how can I do this

(I need to do this ASAP becuase the seminar is around the corner) Thanks in advance
Note: I am no computer wiz, so please speak english

-pasdar1

Mithrandir
Re: Event Registration- to Microsoft Access database

Why not use the MySQL database for that? Access is soooo slow.

But to answer your question directly: It is usually a Bad Thing(tm) to use multiple databases in one script (one database for XOOPS another for your seminar)

pasdar1
  • 2003/12/5 0:01

• pasdar1

• Just popping in

Hello,

Well, to tell the truth it doesn't matter to me. See, The organizers told me 'we want to have people register online with their information so we can have their stuff ready for them at the seminar' and they also told me 'we use access for our other stuff, so if you could make a form that goes into a access database...etc..'

So its my responsiblity to get some sort of form that will send up people's information. I really don't care what database it goes into, as long as I can finally make it into a access database. I know there are some converters out there. So basically, more important than it being access is that we have some sort of a module on our website. So any suggestions?

Thanks

Mithrandir

Perhaps this poster can be of help - if he got somewhere.

Unfortunately this event/LAN/Thingie signup hasn't been finished, afaik.

DonXoop

Since you have a MySQL db (I assume or you wouldn't be here I guess) you can use it and Access together. Keep the data in a real db like MySQL and use Access for the front end if you're already familiar with it.

http://www.mysql.com/products/myodbc/index.html and grab the MyODBC driver. Then use Link Tables against MySQL instead of those insane Access tables. After that it looks and smells like Access for the most part.

You need a form and a place to put the data. PHP and MySQL + Apache are a great web based combo (Hey, XOOPS runs that mix!).

I don't know about doing it in XoopS so if you haven't done it before than there is more to it than you might think. It isn't difficult even from scratch if you know how. But if you only know Access than I don't know. I've touched Access but I don't generally run Windows and I don't want to. However it isn't difficult to make Access talk to MySQL via ODBC.

pasdar1
  • 2003/12/5 5:35

• pasdar1

• Just popping in

Hello,

Thanks Alot everyone, well, the problem is that I don't even know how to use access , I know, I should be crying but I can't help it. I just got a order to use access, that doesn't mean I know how to use it

Well, this is what I managed so far: I used this Contact+ module and then I am making it fit my needs. but I have a problem. See, I made the forms correct but it still says 'Contact us Form' ontop of the page with it. Here is the template for it:

Quote:
<{$contactform.javascript}>
<form name="<{$contactform.name}>" action="<{$contactform.action}>" method="<{$contactform.method}>" <{$contactform.extra}>>
<table class="outer" cellspacing="1">
<tr>
<th colspan="2"><{$contactform.title}></th>
</tr>
<!-- start of form elements loop -->
<{foreach item=element from=$contactform.elements}>
<{if $element.hidden != true}>
<tr>
<td class="head"><{$element.caption}></td>
<td class="<{cycle values="even,odd"}>"><{$element.body}></td>
</tr>
<{else}>
<{$element.body}>
<{/if}>
<{/foreach}>
<!-- end of form elements loop -->
</table>
</form>

Everything I try (which is trial and error) I can't manage to get rid of this 'Contact us Form' title Can you help me with this please? I want it to say something else instead, something like 'Registration Form' or something. Thanks in Advnace. I figured if I can atleast get something to collect info with; woarst comes to woarst I will get all teh info and sit and type it into access myself
But I will look into that link you gave me, thanks

-pasdar1

DonXoop

That one is easy. Look in modules/contact/language/<your lang>/main.php . All the lingo is there for you. Just stay within the quotes and you can get it done without blowing it up.

In Admin / Modules you can also change the menu item text. Change the "Contact Us" line and submit the change.

pasdar1
  • 2003/12/5 7:22

• pasdar1

• Just popping in

Hip Hip Hooraaaaay!Resized Image

I would first like to Thank God for everything I have, and then I would like to thank MithyT2 and DonXoop for all their help and efforts. Its working now, I just need to make some final adjustments; Thanks alot guys!

DonXoop

Glad to have helped. I'm an Xoo newbie myself but I like it and am able to make it fit my humble needs. So when I think I have an answer I'm happy to offer help.

Go with the Source Luke...

Mithrandir

Happy to have been of help (although this was mainly done by DonXoop this time )

Login

Who's Online

112 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 112

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits