Bazus
changing left column WIDTH
  • 2003/11/27 2:04

• Bazus

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/9/23

I'm strugling with a site trying to change the width of the left column.

I have a special template, and I took all the width in the left column to try to troubleshoot it but still comes with the same size.

I checked in the style.css in themes/default and found this :

td#leftcolumn {width: 170px; border-right: 1px solid #ffffff; font-size:11px;}

I took the 'width: 170px;' out off this statement to see if something changed and refreshed the site and still comes with the same column width size.

what else is controlling it? I checked the main menu and user menu templates and there is only width="100%" which it takes whatever width size is set up.

any why to find out this?

Mithrandir
Re: changing the width of the left column

check theme.html in themes/[yourtheme] folder

skalpa
  • 2003/11/27 2:12

• skalpa

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/4/16

Quote:
I took the 'width: 170px;' out off this statement to see if something changed and refreshed the site and still comes with the same column width size.

I've just tried that and it works...
Maybe your browser has kept the css file in its cache.
Try keeping shift pressed when you click on refresh.

Skalpa.>

Bazus
  • 2003/11/27 4:40

• Bazus

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/9/23

I have tryed both advises, sometimes I delete all the content of the cache (tempplates_c) and refresh, and this is not changing. about the theme.html that's the file I'm working on, I adapted a template for it and somehow is not changing the left column width.

http://www.abctyping.com

I took all the blocks from showin on left column to troubleshoot it.

Panos
Re: changing left column WIDTH
  • 2003/11/27 8:51

• Panos

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/3/20

Bazus,

it would be better if you set up your left column's width as a percentage and not a fixed width. This way it could adapt to your visitor's browser window more easily.

Now, there are two ways to do so. You can either change the td#leftcolumn value from '170px' to something like '20%' or '30%', or you could hardcode it into your theme by doing something like:

<td id="leftcolumn" width="20%"....>

... etc. I hope you get my point. Now, the widths of the usermenu and mainmenu are always in respect to their parent elements, which in this case is the leftcolumn id!

Please note, that if you specify a width in your CSS file, then this will over-ride the value you specified in your theme.html file. So, choose one of those two and avoid using fixed widths

Login

Who's Online

136 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 136

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits