mvandam
Re: Cutting out the Geeky stuff!
  • 2003/11/18 8:42

• mvandam

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/2/7 2

Quote:

Now, to the point here: If someone was to patch the News module to do this, what happens to the templates with the old <{$story.morelink}>? How does a template designer know that the old morelink is depricated and the 6 others take it's place other than by comparing versions of templates?

This is an important point. There are already a lot of themes out there... I don't know how many 'template sets' exist with replacements for the 'news article' but I'm sure there are quite a few. If the news module suddenly stops providing 'story.morelink', then all these templates "break". I guess for a limited time, both the story.morelink and also the split up version could be provided. The story.morelink could be documented (in the list of variables for the template/module) as deprecated, maybe set to expire in e.g. 6-12 months (at which point it will not be provided by the news module) so template designers would know not to use it. Perhaps the list of variables could include a version number. Then, templates could indicate which version of the variable list they support. Then e.g. the module installer/updated could easily identify mismatches (perhaps giving the option of trying anyways) in module-variable-list-version and template-version. Hmmm....

Mithrandir
Re: Cutting out the Geeky stuff!

I think a simple list at the top of each template listing available variables and their meaning is a great idea.

Just open SMARTY debug and copy-paste the list of variables and then change the values to descriptions. I'll do that in next version of Team Module.

Login

Who's Online

161 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 161

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits