joelg
A major problem with user security and sections
  • 2003/10/26 18:24

• joelg

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/10/14

I have a major problem with user security using wf-sections - however I get the problem that the problem is basically the same with any other module. I'ld be grateful if somebody could tell me whether I have just misunderstood how to get the result I need, or whether this is a real problem in Xoops.

My requirement seems to me very simple. I want to set up several sections on the site, each of which can only be UPDATED by a particular user group. However, ALL sections should be VISIBLE to ALL user groups.

Now, in wf-sections, if I set up a section to be accessible by one group and not others, then the other user groups can not only not update that section, they cannot see it either.

On the other hand, I can set up a group which can access all the sections, but is not allowed (in group permissions) ADMIN access to the sections. That way it can see all the sections, but it cannot update any of them. That is not what I want either.

It seems to me that what is missing is this. When you create a section, instead of just the option to allow "access" to one or several groups, you should have the ability to allow ADMIN access and READ-ONLY access SEPARATELY. This is the only solution that seems to me coherent and will mean that I don't have to create extra groups for updating and for viewing content.

And here is another problem: I want to be able to set up some sections such that the articles posted by the authorised group are automatically approved, while other sections have to get the posted articles approved by a moderator. So here are two more improvement requests for wf-sections:
1) Take the "Auto approve submitted articles?" parameter from the General configuration and put it at the level of each section.
2) Configure a user, or a group as a moderator for each section.

If anyone can see an inaccuracy in this, or point me to a hack or a way round the problem, I would be grateful.

Otherwise, what chance of getting these improvements in wf-sections, and therefore sections later?

All the best, keep xooping, Joel

Login

Who's Online

120 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 120

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits