dejadingo
Most current Xoops 2.5.11
  • 2021/9/25 17:58

• dejadingo

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/10/22

Can anyone say what is the most current version of Xoops 2.5.11?

I would like to test/use ModuleBuilder version 3.x but the description seems to indicate it only works with Xoops 2.5.11. It looks like the Master version still reports itself as 2.5.10 while the Beta-2 version posted by Mamba reports itself as 2.5.11, and many files in the Beta-2 version seem more correct than those from the Master.

Thanks for the assistance.

Mamba
Re: Most current Xoops 2.5.11
  • 2021/9/25 19:04

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

You can download the code from GitHub:https://github.com/XOOPS/XoopsCore25

Or you can click here for the Zip file:
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

dejadingo
  • 2021/9/27 12:54

• dejadingo

• Just popping in

@Mamba: Thanks, that's much closer to your fork than the version I initially found, not quite sure how.

Is there a standard set of System/Unit tests and a test environment I can install, other than just my local server installation?

Mamba
  • 2021/9/27 18:35

• Mamba

Unfortunately, we don't have any unit tests included in 2.5.11, as this version is pretty much in a "maintenance mode".

There are some in the upcoming "next generation" XOOPS 2.6.0

You can find them here

However, if you could add some unit tests to XOOPS 2.5.11, we would definitely appreciate it!

I did ported once XOOPS 2.5.9 to Docker, and Geekwright ported XOOPS 2.5.10 to Docker and MySQL 8, so feel free to update any of them to XOOPS 2.5.11, if it helps. Personally I'm using WampServer for my local development.
Support XOOPS => DONATE

dejadingo
  • 2021/9/29 23:18

• dejadingo

• Just popping in

@Mamba: Thanks. I can take a look at porting the Docker version to Xoops 2.5.11. The PHPUnit tests also look interesting, although at this point porting them does not seem to make sense.

It would be nice to understand what release strategy to expect for this version in relation to Xoops 2.6.0. Both appear to be in active development, but there does not seem to be a current Roadmap for Xoops in general. Do you plan to release Xoops 2.5.11 in the relatively near future?

I ended up here because, for a variety of reasons, I need to upgrade my website to Bootstrap 5.1.1, and in that process I also need to upgrade my collection of modules that run my website. A few of these were developed in Xoops 2.3/2.4 and they are in need of refreshing on the admin side. I would rather not have to do this work multiple times and it seems like Xoops 2.5.11 might have some admin improvements over 2.5.10. Would appreciate some advice/guidance for what to use as my code base.

Thanks for your help.

alain01
  • 2021/10/1 10:21

• alain01

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/6/20

Hi,
for a basic webmaster,
the answser is always the same :
The stable version is the 2.5.10 version.

But for advanced webmaster, sure,
xoops 2.5.11 comes with lot of improvement.

For modules, could list your modules ?
I think the best choice is to choose maintained modules,
I mean, with full fonctionalities on XOOPS 2.5.11.

There are several modules like that, for exemple, the xmodules.
So may be it's better for the future that your check your modules and watch ig you keep them or update to new modules...

For xoops, Know that monxoops.fr use a 2.5.11 beta 2 version.

dejadingo
  • 2021/10/1 14:39

• dejadingo

• Just popping in

@alain01: Thank you very much for the information, especially about monxoops.fr using Xoops 2.5.11 Beta 2.

I appreciate your comments about using existing modules, and agree that for many websites that is the correct choice. I initially started our website with a version of TinyD, but we are not a portal, do not support submitted articles or comments/ratings/etc and it is currently not open to new users. The webmaster is the only content creator, so about 75% of the functionality of the impressive and well constructed public modules really just gets in my way. I found Xoops when I was looking for a way to organize and maintain the website for our small non-profit organization. Every time I upgrade to a new version of Xoops I review the public offerings, but the needs of our organization are not met by these modules at this time.

I want to thank everyone at Xoops for the time you put into the product. Over the years it has simplified my task as webmaster. And since I needed to develop my own specific functionality to maintain and display the data in our database, being able to easily create my own modules has been a significant benefit. I have enjoyed seeing the code base continue to improve in features, structure and OOP constructs. I look forward to the upcoming releases, will use the latest ModuleBuilder with Xoops 2.5.11 to refresh my modules, and see if my testing gives me enough confidence to upgrade the website to 2.5.11.

alain01
  • 2021/10/1 14:47

• alain01

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/6/20

ok,
Glad you're using and developing your own modules.

For the submitted content, the group management allows you to easily adapt the module to your needs.
You just have to let only the webmaster group manage the edition / modification / deletion of the content.
And in the general preferences of the module, if it is well done, you can deactivate comments and votes for the whole module.
The xmnews module manages it perfectly, for example.

Concerning your own modules, do you propose them to share ?

dejadingo
  • 2021/10/1 17:23

• dejadingo

• Just popping in

Thanks,
I will take another look at xmnews (and perhaps xmcontent) and see how easy it is to shut everything down so we end up with only basic templated pages that can be displayed with the MyMenus module.

Other than the basic text content, my modules are specifically tied to the various tables in our database which hold the information we want to display. I am afraid there is nothing generic in them that would be worth sharing. However, I will eventually have a few bug fixes to share once I finish with the upgrade project.

Mamba
  • 2021/10/1 17:49

• Mamba

I don't have the release date for XOOPS 2.5.11 (that's up to the Core Team), but the current code on GitHub is very stable, and as a matter of fact, we're using it here on xoops.org

Regarding updating your personal modules, you can take a look at the XOOPS Module Framework (XMF) and at the XOOPS Modules Cookbook tutorials. The last one is still work in progress...

Of course, the Module Builder can help with creating the basic module structure that is using XMF and namespaces.

You might also consider making your modules Open Source and upload them to GitHub, so if somebody has similar needs that your modules address, they could contribute to your modules.

Anyway, we're here to help, so if you need anything, just ask....
Support XOOPS => DONATE

Login

Who's Online

171 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 171

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits