Mamba
Re: Pre-alpha Module Restaurants v1.0
  • 2016/7/26 14:52

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
Xoops is a web presentation or/and web community tool.
Why should someone make a inventory with xoops? Why should someone use restaurant payments with xoops?
Don't get this wrong, but let's stay with the purpose of cms.

OK, I am giving up!

For me,XOOPS is a so much more than just a CMS. We've been telling our visitors for years that: Quote:
"XOOPS is a web application platform written in PHP for the MySQL database. Its object orientation makes it an ideal tool for developing small or large community websites, intra company and corporate portals, weblogs and much more."

Just yesterday, I was writing to Richard about his two modules that he developed few years ago and posted recently to GitHub:

a) gwReports is a serious MySQL reporting tool implemented as a module for XOOPS (development, tutorial and a DEMO)

b) gwLoto is a "web based hazardous energy control plan manager. It is designed to facilitate the communication and tracking of vital safety procedures to enable workers to safely accomplish maintenance tasks through a documented lockout and tagout program."(development, starting a tutorial, and DEMO)

What I told him was: Quote:
I do believe that both modules show that XOOPS can be a very serious CMS Platform, so that's why I was interested in getting them on GitHub :)
More people should know about it :)

The key word here is "platform"

Add to it something as serious (and awesome) as the XooNIps: Quote:
"The Laboratory for Neuroinformatics at RIKEN Brain Science Institute (BSI) is involved in developing various cutting-edge technologies related to NI such as XooNIps. XooNIps succeeded the concept and basic feature of the vision science platform; Visiome, constructed by the NRV (i.e., Neuroinformatics Research in Vision) Project and has been developed based on a content management system (CMS); XOOPS, as infrastructure for NI databases to share different types of data on the Internet."
They have even written scientific papers about it like this one "Customizable neuroinformatics database system: XooNIps and its application to the pupil platform."

While XOOPS can fulfill the basic CMS functionality, XOOPS is capable of so much more!

So why should we sell ourselves short?
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Bleekk
  • 2016/7/26 18:24

• Bleekk

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2002/12/14

Quote:
"XOOPS is a web application platform written in PHP for the MySQL database. Its object orientation makes it an ideal tool for developing small or large community websites, intra company and corporate portals, weblogs and much more."

This is exactly what i said xoops is, just in other words
Quote:
Xoops is a web presentation or/and web community tool.

Look, in my opinion there is no tool that can make everything good. It is like having a swiss army knife. It has a knife, a scissors, bottle opener and so on. But in your everyday life you would not use this swiss knife. Instead you would use a real knife, a real scissors ans so on.

My personal vision of xoops is to be a powerful tool exactly described as in the first quote. This was the purpose of xoops as it was built for.
Xoops can't compete with tools in all areas. Because there are already professional tools that were developed exactly for one of these areas.

This is just my opinion. Every developer have to decide on his own what he is doing with xoops.

Mamba
  • 2016/7/27 5:53

• Mamba

Quote:
Every developer have to decide on his own what he is doing with xoops.

Exactly!

Timgno asked for suggestions, I gave him couple, and it will be up to Timgno what he does with it.

However, it's always good to consider how it could help the wider community, and maybe we're in a "violent agreement" here? Because instead of having more modules, I was suggesting to help improve Oledrion and make it more powerful, by making it more flexible and open for extensions. So more focus on fewer but more powerful modules/solutions. Isn't that what you were also suggesting???

Instead of developing new modules, I prefer to improve and consolidate existing ones, because this will help us by spending less time on maintenance!
Support XOOPS => DONATE

Bleekk
  • 2016/7/27 12:28

• Bleekk

• Theme Designer

I do not know what you mean with "violent agreement" but there is definately nothing violent here it is only a discussion with a little different opinions
Quote:
I was suggesting to help improve Oledrion and make it more powerful, by making it more flexible and open for extensions
of course this is also my goal but there is a slightly difference :)

how I understood timgno is that he wants to have a module which presents a restaurant on a website. this is why I didn't unterstand how a ecommerce module, which has a 100% different purpose, could help here. but this was only my suggestion.

when i think of extensions for oledrion a think of openining hours where a shop is closed/open at certain hours, different payment methods, different vendors in one shop, selling media files, different types of a product like size/color etc.
This is how I would make oledrion more powerfull

Mamba
  • 2016/7/27 13:49

• Mamba

"Violent agreement" is not about being per se "violent"

Quote:
violent agreement: When two people think they are arguing, but fail to realize they actually agree.

One more thing - to see what's possible with XOOPS, check out this SimAntz PHP development framework built on top of XOOPS 2.4.4, which I recently discovered.

https://github.com/XoopsModules25x/simantz

The video shows very nicely the features:

Support XOOPS => DONATE

Bleekk
  • 2016/7/27 16:54

• Bleekk

• Theme Designer

Haha ok i didn't know what violent agreement means

vamptrix
  • 2016/8/1 21:33

• vamptrix

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2008/5/3 1

In my opinion, each module should only do 1 thing and do it really well. That module should ofcourse be able to easily hook into another module.

That way, for a restaurant, you would be able to have these modules:
* A card module showing the menu
* A reservation module allowing you to reserve a table
* A billing module that allows you to order the dishes in the card module online

That way, you have 3 modules that you can easily extend or combine with another one without having 1 mammoth of a module that will likely never be used by others because it's so specificly geared to 1 goal.
In this case, you could also change the card module to show for example a list of services you might provide, without having to offer a reservation module or a billing module.

That's the real strength of a good CMS: small modules that interact great with each other, that together build up a great solution :)

timgno
  • 2016/8/2 10:05

• timgno

• Module Developer

• Since: 2007/6/21

I have already created some time the version 2.01 of module tdmcreate on github for XOOPS 2.6 and integrates a section import, which just serves to import the database tables of the old modules and transform them with the new php coding. This naturally involves different job, which is why I support the idea of Mamba and at the same time creating new compatible modules. It needs help from the community to do this in a short time.

Do you agree?

Login

Who's Online

170 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 170

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits