Runeher
Losing revenue because of Adblock?
  • 2016/6/8 20:24

• Runeher

• Module Developer

• Since: 2008/1/24

Hi, I have several sites with ads, both from Google Adsense and others. During the last year I have noticed a significant drop in revenues, because people install an adblocker. Now I'm fed up with the "freeloaders" even though I use Adblock myself...lol

But I have decided that for my sites to continue, I had to do something, so I found this script on this site, which works well...

https://blockadblock.com

What is your stance on this subject?

Mamba
Re: Losing revenue because of Adblock?
  • 2016/6/9 17:14

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Personally I don't mind using anti-adblockers

What I also find fair is what some Websites are doing - they show some content, and hide some stuff if the adblocker is on, and post a notice that to see the rest, the visitor has to turn-off the adblocker.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Runeher
  • 2016/6/13 14:12

• Runeher

• Module Developer

There is also the option to offer paid subscription to avoid seeing ads, but I believe XOOPS lacks this module?

Mamba
  • 2016/6/13 17:48

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

There were some modules attempting that as Membership, but I am not sure how they worked in the end, as I didn't really use them...

a) Subscription
b) Membership

See this thread:https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=72462&start=10

Check also this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3deZMogcECI
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

vamptrix
  • 2016/6/27 8:33

• vamptrix

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2008/5/3 1

I don't really think that there is a module that does this and this is something that has only been an issue for the last few years (as adblockers weren't such an issue years ago).

With the overhaul of XOOPS that's currently going on, I don't know if these modules still work - however, this might be something that we could look into later.

Kev

Runeher
  • 2016/6/27 12:41

• Runeher

• Module Developer

Such a working module would be great. Many sites use paid subscriptions for some content or to offer this to visitors who hate ads. I have bought a few subscriptions myself. Those sites use Drupal as I can see.

getmeonpageo

at the end of the day if people are going to counteract your money making scheme theres nothing wrong with counteracting the counteract lol

Runeher
  • 2017/1/6 18:07

• Runeher

• Module Developer

I tried all of these modules, but none worked. Simon's module even crashed the whole site, so I had to fix it in the db Not recommended to try if you are new to this... lol

My wish for 2017 is a module that works and interacts with Publisher beautifully...

Peekay
  • 2017/1/11 19:42

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

I don't object to seeing ads on websites, but video advertisements are crippling the internet by trying to turn it into a TV.

If you get two or more videos trying to load and play on the same web page, they can reduce the browser to a crawl, even on a powerful PC.

I would use an app that blocked video-ads only, but up to now most of the solutions I have seen just promise to block everything, which does seem unfair.

Login

Who's Online

205 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 205

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits