Mamba
Re: XOOPS 2.6.0 Alpha 2 released for Testing
  • 2014/3/29 23:25

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
[root@localhost xoops_lib]# curl -sShttps://getcomposer.org/installer | php
curl: (23) Failed writing body (4095 != 8030)

Here are couple of links that might help you.

1) Installing on Mac, the system was missing files, the user needed to repair it.

2) There might be some issues with your php.ini, as the situation with braille.so indicated. See here

3) Some other issues with Mac

What Linux distro are you using?
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

redheadedrod

I have said this in the past and will say it again. I think that requiring a somewhat non-standard library such as composer to be installed to use xoops is a mistake.

Unless it can be incorporated fully into an installation program it is not going to work for all members. If I am using a hosting service that doesn't have it installed and they don't give me command line access I would not be able to easily install 2.6 with the current configuration.

I still think we should be providing the code in the vender directory to make it easier for the members. Unless xoops is being charged for the bandwidth of github to download it I will never understand the reasoning to make things more difficult for members for no good reason. I do realize it allows for easy updating and they do a lot of work for you. I can agree that it is a good idea to include it in the final product once we get to beta but we should be providing 2 versions. One if the member has composer installed and one with the full current code base not requiring composer to be installed. Not providing this will push potential users away from xoops and onto other packages that just simply install and update without special effort.

Attending College working towards Bachelors in Software Engineering and Network Security.

redheadedrod

John, once you have the latest 2.6 up and running you will notice there are a few upgrades since alpha 2.

The database structure is completely different because we have included Doctrine to allow other databases to be used. If you use the XoopsObject stuff however to store and retrieve stuff it should still work without issue. Starting with 2.6 prepared statements and transactions are supported. Schema definitions are preferred instead of the older .sql statements for installation but building the schema is easy to do with a working module with the utility Richard has included. (Look in the admin menu)

I am not sure how many upgrades are going to be completed before 2.6 is locked and released as beta but at this point I believe almost every system in xoops will be modified and updated before we are done with it with legacy support being kept as well where possible.

Look at the XMF stuff as well because XMF has been included in both 2.5.7 and 2.6 as a helper for modules and as a bridge between 2.5 and 2.6. Not at my computer right now but I believe you will find XMF in the frameworks directory.

Oh and the more you get to know the new 2.6 xoops the more you will like what you see.

Rodney

Attending College working towards Bachelors in Software Engineering and Network Security.

jlm69
  • 2014/3/30 13:13

• jlm69

• Module Developer

• Since: 2002/7/19

I put the vendor folder in xoops_lib but when I get to this page
http://localhost/install/page_configsave.php
I get this error:

Could not copy into secure.php the distribution file: /data/secure.dist.php
all permissions are correct

Now I tried it on another server and I get the same error.

is there somewhere else but github to get the files?

John

jlm69
  • 2014/3/30 13:32

• jlm69

• Module Developer

I got one server to finish the installation, so I guess I'm good for now.

Thanks,

John

Mamba
  • 2014/3/30 14:27

• Mamba

Fantastic!

What was the issue and how did you solve it, so we can share next time with others?

Thanks!
Support XOOPS => DONATE

jlm69
  • 2014/3/30 18:59

• jlm69

• Module Developer

I'm still not able to install xoops on my test server, but was able to on a shared hosting server after a couple of tries. Not really sure what it was in the shared server, but I did replaced data/secure.dist.php a couple of times and set it to port 80 and it worked.

But now the problems are going to begin.
Like I started saying the other day I had all my modules working perfect with the 2.6.0 alpha2 from sourceforge, but now I don't know if I can make it work with this new version, it may just be to much to do at once.
I really don't see how any old modules will work at all, without major work to them. I think backwards compatibility has ended here.

I will still play around and see what I can do but I might have just been knocked out of this game.

Thanks,

John

Mamba
  • 2014/3/30 22:42

• Mamba

Quote:
I really don't see how any old modules will work at all, without major work to them. I think backwards compatibility has ended here.

There will be a shift, but that's why we're planning to use XMF to make the migration as smooth as possible.

XMF will have the same API but different implementation on 2.5.x and on 2.6.x. So once you convert a module to XMF for XOOPS 2.5.x, the modules should work on 2.6.0 pretty much without major changes.

In its concept, it will be similar to what we have with the System menu for modules.

You just enter in your xoops_version.php file:

$modversion['system_menu'] = 1;

and XOOPS will build the Admin GUI with Tabs, etc. We could make changes to the Admin GUI, but it won't have any impact on you, because the only thing that you care about is the single line of code above

The plan is to make XMF very powerful and developer friendly, so module developers won't have to reinvent the wheel all the time, but just take advantage of XMF and its features.

But one step at a time...

The key is that you have done already a lot of work, so you are ahead of many other modules. Just upload them to GitHub, so we can test them...
Support XOOPS => DONATE

jlm69
  • 2014/3/30 23:20

• jlm69

• Module Developer

It will be a while before I can release anything, I have a lot of work to do.
As you know my modules aren't OOPed. And it seems everything needs to be. So I have some work to do, which I have been doing a lot in the last 2 or 3 weeks.
I wanted to OOP the modules someday, so I guess now is as good as anytime, I think I can handle it.

Mamba, if you didn't help me with the jobs module I would be lost. So I want to thank you for that, and you thought you were only updating the admin gui.
I'm feeling alot better now than when I wrote my last post. Got a lot done today.

Thanks,

John

Mamba
  • 2014/3/31 0:18

• Mamba

I am very happy to hear that you feel better!

But I would encourage you to place the code on SourceForge SVN or GitHub, so we can start work together on those modules.

As a matter of fact, I was playing with your modules 3-4 weeks ago, because I am updating/testing modules for XOOPS 2.5.7 release. And one of the things that I am looking for are module elements that could be extracted and made into components or plugins, so other modules could use it as well. And you have couple very cool features there, like the maps & country data. They would be perfect to be in a central library and available to all modules, so all of them could install it.

I would love to have several of us working together and looking for common features across all modules, and extract the best solution and then make it to a standard for XOOPS, the same as we did with the common Admin GUI, thanks to Mage and his work!

I already have a list of things that I would like to standardize across all modules, and I am constantly adding new things. But we need to have a good team that would start make those things happen. There are a lot of cool things in the individual modules, we just need to take a good inventory, and then start working on making things easier and simpler...

So let's work together John, and let's make it a learning experience for both of us, as well as for other people...

What do you say?
Support XOOPS => DONATE

Login

Who's Online

266 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 266

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits