richinri
Installation issue
  • 2014/2/24 8:13

• richinri

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2014/2/19

Ok, I am totally new. I run a newly installed Xoops. It says in the top corner:
To make content you must first install some module, like the fmContent or the Content module.

So I install the content module in the module directory......and it wont show up as installable in admin. As for fmContent......follow the link and try to figure out what to download....forget it.

UPDATE: I got it to install. I had to delete an extra directory at the top which the zip file installed automatically and just leave content as the top folder. Try to add content and there is no save button. Anyone worked with content module?

redheadedrod
Re: Installation issue

Please give us more information.

We need to know at a minimum the version of xoops, php and modules that you have installed. Which can all be gotten from the admin menu.

Rodney

richinri
  • 2014/2/24 17:24

• richinri

• Friend of XOOPS

I am away from that machine today but the BitNami install from this site's download page is what I installed 2 days ago. If that doesn't give you the info you need I will send it later. The content manager I asked about was from the link in Xoops.

redheadedrod

Sorry that I can not be more informative at this point but yes we need the above mentioned information to be able to properly help you. Personally I have no clue what BitNami is but assuming that is a host provided script that installs Xoops for you.

So unfortunately that information does nothing for us to help you.

We need specifically your versions to insure you are using the latest versions of the software and are using compatible versions to what you have. Until you provide that information there really isn't much we can do to help.

Rodney

richinri
  • 2014/2/25 6:21

• richinri

• Friend of XOOPS

I am using 2.5.6 but I am putting a hold on this. My online server only runs 2.51a at this time so I am going to switch to that version so I have less confusion while I am learning.

Mamba
  • 2014/2/25 11:34

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

You should update the server to 2.5.6, assuming that your server has at least PHP 5.3.7, as 2.5.6 is a better version, with many bug fixes.

For content, try something like the Publisher module. It is the best module that we have right now.

Or you can try something like News, as it works well as well.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

redheadedrod

Although this will hopefully change with 2.6 currently you do have to do the full install yourself if you are not using an automated system. You COULD do an upgrade from the version installed from your provider as well if you are not totally comfortable with that.

As far as modules go you need to make sure you inspect the contents of the zip files. Normally they contain an htdocs directory that contains all of the code you need to copy to your installation.

But of course this should all be spelled out in the installation and operational documentation for xoops.

Rodney

richinri
  • 2014/2/25 19:31

• richinri

• Friend of XOOPS

My websites are on a reseller account where neither the choice of PHP version or Xoops is decided by me. They generally remain behind 1 or 2 versions of setups and PHP versions. So I have decided to just learn and develop Xoops locally on my machine so I can use the latest versions to avoid confusion. Thank you.

Mamba
  • 2014/2/25 20:27

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Most of the hosting companies are giving you nowadays option to use PHP 5.4 or 5.5, instead of 5.3.

The minimum PHP version that you need is 5.3.7, and I am sure that they have it there.

They might have older XOOPS version for installation, but if you have access to FTP, then you can upgrade your installation to XOOPS 2.5.6, by simply overwriting the files and running Upgrade.

I assume, you have full access to phpMyAdmin there, right?
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

richinri
  • 2014/2/26 6:25

• richinri

• Friend of XOOPS

Yes and from what I can see they allow selection of PHP versions on their dedicated servers. I am on a reseller account (shared servers). Right now the server is using PHP 5.2.17 and Xoops 2.51 so 2.5.6 will create issues. So I am left to just learn xoops using WAMP offline.

Login

Who's Online

142 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 142

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits