• Just popping in

• Since: 2013/12/22

now i install and testing alpha 3...

composer install need enable openssl
Thanks mamba for alive xoops
Resized Image

redheadedrod
Re: Xoops 2.6.0 alpha 3 issues

Personally I think REQUIRING composer to install xoops is a bad decision. It works (sort of) while under development but it will be a cause for much grief moving forward. A package that a user installs must be seamless and include everything.

I could be wrong but until composer is a default inclusion in PHP I think it is a very bad decision to force people to install composer in order to use xoops. I don't think it is a bad idea to include the code with the installation so someone could update the included packages if they want but 90% of the users that are going to want to install xoops will not want to fuss with having to have to install something else first and it will be a very big and continuous support issue.

Attending College working towards Bachelors in Software Engineering and Network Security.

tatane
  • 2014/1/8 9:31

• tatane

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2008/5/6 1

Quote:

redheadedrod wrote:
Personally I think REQUIRING composer to install xoops is a bad decision. It works (sort of) while under development but it will be a cause for much grief moving forward. A package that a user installs must be seamless and include everything.

I could be wrong but until composer is a default inclusion in PHP I think it is a very bad decision to force people to install composer in order to use xoops. I don't think it is a bad idea to include the code with the installation so someone could update the included packages if they want but 90% of the users that are going to want to install xoops will not want to fuss with having to have to install something else first and it will be a very big and continuous support issue.

+1

Bleekk
  • 2014/1/8 9:34

• Bleekk

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2002/12/14

I also think that composer is a nice tool but a cms should be easy to install.
Composer should be a optional feature

heyula
  • 2014/1/8 9:43

• heyula

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2008/4/24

Quote:

tatane wrote:
Quote:

redheadedrod wrote:

+1

+1

Mamba
  • 2014/1/8 10:30

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
I also think that composer is a nice tool but a cms should be easy to install.

With or without Composer, XOOPS should be easy to install, that's a given

But let's see if there is a way to have Composer in the background as part of the Installer, in a way that the user is not even aware of it....
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Login

Who's Online

190 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 190

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits