mondarse
Planing to start coding my first module, where to start?
  • 2013/6/14 6:00

• mondarse

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/3 1

Hi, I'm planning to start coding my first module for xoops 255, and after reading the forums I'm not sure where to start:

- I have tried TDMCreate 1.39RC1 but generated code simply gets blank page when trying to view new modules to install in my local wampserver (apache 2.2.11, php 5.3, mysql 5.136)

- I have watched "OOP Adventures with XOOPS" presentation.

- I know that irmtfan has done a "How to write an standard module for xoops" manual:https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=76036, not read yet.

- Should I learn XOOPS API before starting to code, or can I only use it as a reference document?.

So, could you please recommend me where to start?

Thank you, MonDarSE

redheadedrod
Re: Planing to start coding my first module, where to start?

Your best bet is to probably take a simple module and go through it using the API and that thread as a guide. I would use the log module that has been mentioned elsewhere as a good module to go through since he used the most recent xoops code to create it.

Once you understand how that module is constructed it will lead you in the right direction.

mondarse
  • 2013/6/14 15:20

• mondarse

• Just popping in

Thank you very much for your help.

I'm going to read irmtfan manual then studying also his log module and at last starting to code.

iunderwood

My advice for starting out is to get intimately familiar with the administrative back end sorts of things: Module Preferences, Blocks Preferences as you code pages and things.

The second thing to learn is how to use Smarty templates.

It never hurts to learn the API, but I have always learned the most when there are other modules to observe. You'll find there are several ways to accomplish things.

Some of my old code was truly disastrous and difficult to modify.

mondarse
  • 2013/6/14 16:18

• mondarse

• Just popping in

Quote:

iunderwood wrote:
My advice for starting out is to get intimately familiar with the administrative back end sorts of things: Module Preferences, Blocks Preferences as you code pages and things.

The second thing to learn is how to use Smarty templates.

It never hurts to learn the API, but I have always learned the most when there are other modules to observe. You'll find there are several ways to accomplish things.

Some of my old code was truly disastrous and difficult to modify.

Thank you also to iunderwood, I think I have learned enough about preferences, blocks, admin, smarty, and so on last years translating modules to Spanish, reading the code for hacking some modules like myquiz module to make online timed exams and coding some php pages inside iContent module to create some kind of "custom online courses" for my work.

Now I would like to to code a new quiz module from scratch, and if I learn enough with it, coding some kind of lms, or at least some way for creating a module for managing courses, lessons, documents, exams, curse quality surveys and an easy way for curse admins to add and link forums and its permissions to courses or even one forum for each lesson the way I now do manually by my self.

iunderwood

That sounds like a very interesting module! Enjoy the experience!

Mamba
  • 2013/6/15 8:29

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
I have tried TDMCreate 1.39RC1 but generated code simply gets blank page when trying to view new modules to install in my local wampserver (apache 2.2.11, php 5.3, mysql 5.136)

That shouldn't happen. Can you try the latest code for 1.39 from the SVN again?
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

irmtfan
  • 2013/6/20 2:39

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

I wrote that tutorial with the aim to set some standards for html/css/smarty/php/mysql coding in general and xoops module coding in specific.

I think following that tutorial will guide everybody in the right direction and more importantly save the precious time to write new modules (and also modify old ones) effectively with the most compatibility with the newer xoops versions and the best solutions from other codes/CMS/xoopscore/modules for obstacles.

I like to see your participation to enhance the tutorial.

mondarse
  • 2013/7/30 9:36

• mondarse

• Just popping in

Quote:

Mamba wrote:
Quote:
I have tried TDMCreate 1.39RC1 but generated code simply gets blank page when trying to view new modules to install in my local wampserver (apache 2.2.11, php 5.3, mysql 5.136)

That shouldn't happen. Can you try the latest code for 1.39 from the SVN again?

Hi Mamba, can you check if this is the correct link to 1.39 SVN?, I get a bit confused:
http://sourceforge.net/p/xoops/svn/11858/tree/XoopsModules/TDMCreate/branches/timgno/1.39/TDMCreate/

Thanks

Mamba
  • 2013/7/30 12:25

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Yes, this should be the correct one, but please understand that there are still bugs there.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Login

Who's Online

245 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 245

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits