ukandrewf
Re: newbb 4.0
  • 2013/3/4 16:29

• ukandrewf

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/12/2

the simplest solution is to change the forum post form previously mentioned in this thread so that instead of Name/Email it just says name. Possibly to have a separate form field for email address which then isn't visible in the posted form.

Andrew

irmtfan
  • 2013/3/5 2:53

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

then we have 2 options:
1- add an extra field to database for email just for anon users.
2- simply rename name/email with email and hide it. anoin user can write his name in anywhere else e.g.: in the post text
which you think is better?

ukandrewf
  • 2013/3/5 10:55

• ukandrewf

• Friend of XOOPS

option 3) simply rename name/email to name - that way users would not be confused into entering an email address which screws the format and also opens them to spam.

I would say this is the quickest and most painless option.

they can enter an email address is the post if they wish for replies.

the ideal option would be to add a new field for email and keep it in the database, perhaps contact via a web form so it is not visible to the web.

Another option is to add an optional password field to the post form and they could then be registering at the same time? Name/Username, Email and password?

Andrew

ukandrewf
  • 2013/3/7 16:47

• ukandrewf

• Friend of XOOPS

two more questions about this module. We have installed irmtfan's version of the module.

1) How can i set the default view to show posts from all time as the default view? FIXED

2) the SEO-URL enabled feature in preferences - if enabled does it automatically create the 301 redirects needed? to link old links to new urls?

thanks

Andrew

irmtfan
  • 2013/3/9 1:53

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

huum
honestly i didnt take a single look to SEO neither used them anywhere.

IMO Core team should solve SEO in core for the whole site otherwise you have some links from some modules different from others.

But Im pretty sure you dont need those user-friendly 301 redirect URLs because when you enable the SEO option, old URLS will be redirected. please try yourself.
If you have any issue with SEO it would be better to ask from Alfred.

Also IMO Your first problem was because You could not find that config in the first look and it is because the preferences of newbb is too confusing.

I plan to simplify them and unify all configs in plugin.php and preferences.

ukandrewf
  • 2013/3/9 11:15

• ukandrewf

• Friend of XOOPS

thanks for your reply.

going back to the issue of anonymous posts and email addresses being seen.

this is a response from one of my site visitors about her email being seen...

Quote:
URL:http://www.colournation.com/

I would like to make a request for my email adress to be removed from your site. I have been getting a massive amount of spam and when i type my email adress on google it displays my post on your site along with my email for everyone to see. I feel that my email being public may have contributed to the large amount of spam.

My post on your site can be found at :
http://www.colournation.com/modules/newbb/transfer.php?post_id=10055&op=print Thank you

so it is a big problem - if the input on the newbb form had said just Name: she would not have entered her email address and the problem would be solved - quick and dirty fix.

where is the newbb new post form held - can we edit ourselves?

thanks

Andrew

irmtfan
  • 2013/3/9 12:51

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

Yes that definition can be easily changed to Name:
in language/english/main.php
define('_MD_NAMEMAIL','Name/Email:');

adding a new field for anon users will be the final solution. but it seems core team want to add Name/Email/URL field for anons so other modules like newbb can use it.

ukandrewf
  • 2013/3/9 12:53

• ukandrewf

• Friend of XOOPS

ok great thanks. - worked perfectly think it will solve the issue for now but a longer term resolution would be good.

if they add a password/username too - anonymous users could register optionally if they want too.

Login

Who's Online

208 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 208

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits