Rodney, this is your PDF

Thank you.

pacho
Re: XOOPS Module Packs Overview- Draft 1
  • 2013/3/6 2:31

• pacho

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/6/7 2

In my opinion I vote for "shopping cart" idea, because everyone has its own "Basic pack".

For example, my Basic Pack will have:
Backup (or Backpack)
Defacer
extGallery
fmContent
Formulaire (or xForms)
Tag
xSitemap (even I still don't understand very well)

Mamba
  • 2013/3/6 4:28

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
This is a module that displays information from a website. You have no information to indicate, according to your laws, on a website in the United States?
Anyway, how much do you need for countries that use a module for Xoops integrate?

It seems like this is a country-specific product, and the kind of information provided is dictated by local laws, which will be different from country to country. So the best would be to have a local "Module Pack" with modules that are relevant to local laws or culture.

Of course, if we would have a "cafeteria-style" module repository, then this issues would go away.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Anonymous
  • 2013/3/6 20:46

• Anonymous

• Since:

A "cafetaria-style" repository is a great idea. And please let it replace all local language repository's with in many cases outdated modules...

Something like a module connected to xoops sourceforge, combining the module files with your local language files and making a module on the fly. Or telling you there is no language file for your local language, do you want it in English instead?

Mamba
  • 2013/3/6 21:27

• Mamba

Yes, having an option to pull translations as well, would be ideal.

Maybe somebody from the community will volunteer to develop that? I think, xAsset would be a good starting point.
Support XOOPS => DONATE

irmtfan
  • 2013/3/7 2:49

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

Yes we need more advance and full featured modules. because everyday people need something and they cannot find it in xoops.

e.g.: now
IMO having an option to download selected files from a category should be in one of the many xoops download modules years ago.

The main problem is we have many many download modules but none of them is a full feature one.
It is because developers just work alone. so one developer released mydownloads then he left xoops and the next one released wfdownloads then he left xoops too and ... and you can see the outcome of this story:
none of the current download modules have A "cafetaria-style" repository

The correct way for developing a new module is gathering all good features from all related old modules and try to gather all other developers who interested in developing that module. then do a real team work and outcome would be amazing.

Mamba
  • 2013/3/7 7:43

• Mamba

Quote:
The correct way for developing a new module is gathering all good features from all related old modules and try to gather all other developers who interested in developing that module. then do a real team work and outcome would be amazing.

Absolutely! That's what this thread about Standardization is all about!

Thanks to Mage and his ModuleAdmin class, we are now able to easily convert modules so they have the same look and feel! But this is only the first step. As next, we need to extract and modulerize more of the common functions, so all of the modules can re-use them.

I think, the original XOOPS team did a very good job with keeping things consistent, but then everybody started to create their own modules, and we became too fragmented. Many modules looks different, and are programmed in a different way, and thus we don't leverage each other. It's good to be creative and experiment, but then we have to make a decision if this is actually better, and not for the sake of being different.

The TDMCreate module, our "Module Builder", will help further, because it will help to incorporate the "Best Practices" into it, so every time we create a new module with it. we can be sure that it has the best features available.

So please help us to find all the "XOOPS Gems", i.e. features or functions in modules that are the "Best in Class", and should be implemented in all other modules.
Support XOOPS => DONATE

Anonymous
  • 2013/3/8 23:03

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
I think xoops lack of a good module for Sports Managment. Xoops has all the tools to be a great community based sports site.

I'm not a sports fanatic but I guess you have a point! Blue moving all generic modules is important, but those are not the modules persuading webmasters to choose for xoops. I can name other cms's having better modules instead... Maintaining niche modules for specific sites can make a difference, that's also why I like the module Pedigree is updated again.

redheadedrod

I am looking for the proper versions of the modules for the module packs and it is hard to figure out what the latest versions are in the SVN...

I find some modules have entries in the "basicmodulepacks" and for those it seems easy since there is only one listing but are they the latest version?

I want to test them against the MySQLi connector but I need the correct versions and it is hard to tell from the SVN. I have a mirror of the SVN on my computer at home and they all have the same date so I can't use that as an indicator.

Thanks!

Login

Who's Online

167 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 167

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits