angelomorto
Group Filter for Blocks

I found myself in the situation of having to manage many blocks in Xoops, due to many customers and many fixed banner...
...So, I maked customers groups for my blocks...

...the result is that now I can view my blocks to customer group.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

You can download istructions and files by here:

http://www.xoopsitalia.org/modules/newbb/p-70743/gestire-i-blocchi-di-xoops-con-i-gruppi.html

Mamba
Re: Group Filter for Blocks
  • 2012/10/1 22:21

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Interesting idea!

Please add it to "Feature Requests" with a link to this thread, so maybe it can be added to future versions of XOOPS.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

irmtfan
  • 2012/10/2 6:18

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

I cannot understand the means of this hack.
we can set group permissions for each block in each module in system -> permissions -> block permissions.
Also using Altsys make it easier.

Mamba
  • 2012/10/2 6:26

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
I cannot understand the means of this hack.
we can set group permissions for each block in each module in system -> permissions -> block permissions.

For me it's just an extra filter, if you have a lot of groups, and would like to see which blocks are currently used by a particular group.

If you don't have many groups, then it probably doesn't provide any value to you.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

irmtfan
  • 2012/10/2 7:06

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

In my website i have 28 groups but webmasters dont have any issue working with them.
Quote:

like to see which blocks are currently used by a particular group

use system -> blocks and you have all filters.
also Altsys will make life easier!

i register and download this hack and take a look.
it is an in-depth hack it will alter the current newblocks xoops core table (add groupblock_id field) and add another table to the database.
IMO it is not necessary to assign a new group_id field to the current newblocks because the blocks are part of the module. we dont have any stand alone blocks.

Also in xoops core we have a group_permission table for all group permissions and as far as i can see there are a "block_read" gperm_name therefore IMO this hack will be in conflict with that table too.

Anyway Im sure there was a reason to not add a group_id field to newblocks table and as i said before IMO that reason is blocks are part of the module
i think if we should have a group_id for blocks all previous core team members could add that field.

angelomorto

Quote:

irmtfan wrote:
In my website i have 28 groups but webmasters dont have any issue working with them.

use system -> blocks and you have all filters.
also Altsys will make life easier!

i register and download this hack and take a look.
it is an in-depth hack it will alter the current newblocks xoops core table (add groupblock_id field) and add another table to the database.
IMO it is not necessary to assign a new group_id field to the current newblocks because the blocks are part of the module. we dont have any stand alone blocks.

Also in xoops core we have a group_permission table for all group permissions and as far as i can see there are a "block_read" gperm_name therefore IMO this hack will be in conflict with that table too.

Anyway Im sure there was a reason to not add a group_id field to newblocks table and as i said before IMO that reason is blocks are part of the module
i think if we should have a group_id for blocks all previous core team members could add that field.

Indeed, at first glance the hack may not be interesting. The hack was born to a my personal need for a project involving a large number of custom blocks to personal customers.
Have a more filter, it doesn't slow Xoops beacause the new table is queried only in the administrator control pannel.
When I add other blocks in my Xoops, I will realize new screenshots so you better understand. :)

irmtfan
  • 2012/10/20 6:59

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

Sorry i missed your reply.
Quote:

it doesn't slow Xoops beacause the new table is queried only in the administrator control pannel.

Yes and i didnt argue queries. I said it will be in conflict with other modules working with Xoops Blocks in admin side.
for example Altsys work with blocks permissions and im sure it will just change the "group_permission" table and dont touch "newblocks" table so Altsys cause conflict with your hack.

how many custom groups do you have? im sure even with 1,000 custom groups xoops dont have any issue in managing blocks.

Login

Who's Online

221 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 221

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits