Mamba
SCEditor: potential replacement for DHTML?
  • 2012/8/19 19:35

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

I think, it's time to get rid of DHTML Editor in XOOPS

I saw recently SCEditor and I really like it. SCEditor is designed to be a small, lightweight BBCode and HTML WYSIWYG editor, and therefore it could be a perfect replacement.

Resized Image

I've ported it to XOOPS as an experiment and you can download it from XOOPS SVN

To install it:
a) unzip the /sceditor folder to

/class/xoopseditor/

folder

b) Update your System module, and any module that you plan to use SCEditor (e.g. News).

As long as the particular module doesn't have hardcoded editors, but it's populating its editor list dynamically, you should be able to select now SCEditor in your list.

I have found so far couple of incompatibilities, so we might need some adjustments in the XOOPS Core to make it work properly, but if the feedback from the community is positive, and the Core Team finds the time, then maybe we could have it for Alpha 2 or Alpha 3 available.

For the time being, please download it and test it, and let us know what you think.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

deka87
Re: SCEditor: potential replacement for DHTML?
  • 2012/8/20 4:52

• deka87

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2007/10/5

Looks pretty IMO and we surely need to get rid of the DHTML Editor. I would love to see it in the future versions.
Mind anchors

hipoonios
  • 2012/8/20 6:35

• hipoonios

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/9/24

Just perfect. The DHTML editor is too weak and other editors like TinyMCE etc is too advanced.

I hope you can get ride of the small bugs. I want to switch to this editor right now. Does it work on 2.5.5? Or is it for 2.6 only?
I love Xoops!

deka87
  • 2012/8/20 7:58

• deka87

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2007/10/5

On my websites I use Rheditor portedby xoops.ws team. Still has some minor issues but besides that works just perfect.

Resized Image

You can download it from this page:http://xoops.ws/modules/news/article.php?storyid=56
Mind anchors

Peekay
  • 2012/8/20 8:58

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Looks quite neat, but does it have/can it have Xoops image-manager support?. Also, with the current DHTML editor you can paste Javascript or PHP code, which is useful for adding a widget to a block for example.

Whichever editor is used, it would be great if the site webmaster could enable/disable Javascript support and toolbar buttons as prefs instead of hacking away at a config file.

Frankblack's Tinyeditor module was great because it enabled webmasters to present a basic BB code editor or an advanced HTML editor based on groups.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

Mamba
  • 2012/8/20 9:01

• Mamba

@ Hipoonios Quote:
I hope you can get ride of the small bugs. I want to switch to this editor right now. Does it work on 2.5.5? Or is it for 2.6 only?
It works on 2.5.5, but unfortunately with the same bugs that makes it unusable right now: - Selecting Color inserts "#" in front of color code (XOOPS doesn't use it) - Clicking on Preview, XOOPS inserts
<br />
on line breaks Those issues would have to be fixed either in SCEditor or in XOOPS. The key requirement will be to read error-free existing BBCode content from the database. @ Peekay Quote:
Frankblack's Tinyeditor module was great because it enabled webmasters to present a basic BB code editor or an advanced HTML editor based on groups.
TinyMCE has the BBCode plugin, so we could use only TinyMCE, but with two different configurations. Updating TinyEditor would be another option. I am glad that we have a discussion on this topic! This is an important issues, as the DHTML editor is outdated, so we need a replacement, but we also need a list of features that should be present in whatever the replacement we select. Who would like to help with the development?
Support XOOPS => DONATE

Mamba
  • 2012/8/20 9:13

• Mamba

Deka,
we already have CLEditor in our list of ported editors.
Do you know what is the difference between what we have and the RHEditor implementation?

But it looks nice in the demo, and it could be another option for DHTML replacement.

I've added it to the list of Editors in XOOPS SVN
Support XOOPS => DONATE

panwac
  • 2012/8/20 11:48

• panwac

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/11/12

Both of these editors looks fine.

irmtfan
  • 2012/8/21 6:12

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

Yes, I like them too.
the default DHTML editor should be replaced by a new one but DHTML should be remained as an optional editor for anybody still prefer it.

hipoonios
  • 2012/9/7 21:41

• hipoonios

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/9/24

Installed it and found another bug.

Smilies doesn't working (at least not for me).
I love Xoops!

Login

Who's Online

168 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 168

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits