irmtfan
Re: Newbb 4.3
  • 2012/8/7 4:10

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

deka87:
I think about your issue through my way to work and i think you should do following:

1- install a new xoops in a subdomain of your mainsite then install a fresh install of newbb 4.3 latest rev.9992. do you still have this issue?

2- if the above is NO. rename modules/newbb folder to modules/newbb_old folder in your main site. then upload the newbb latest rev.9992 to modules/newbb do not replace files just rename the whole folder.
then rename IF EXIST themes/default/modules/newbb and themes/YOUR_THEME/modules/newbb to newbb_old. do not replace old templates with new templates just rename the whole folder. you should not have any "newbb" folder in the themes directory. this way we will be sure that no old file is exist.
then update newbb module and delete caches in system -> maintenance

3- if your problem still exist let me know these:
3-1- do you use defacer module?
3-2- do you use SEO urls? _htaccess is used in newbb module?

Mamba:
from the current questions about newbb i think i should add a FAQ section to readme.txt
more importantly i start to revise all persian language definitions.
and i can see the english definitions need to be revised completely.
the admin side language definitions are the most important part because It will help our webmasters to better manage the module.

eg: this definition is not used anymore:
define("_AM_NEWBB_ALLOWSIGNATURES", "Allow Signatures:");
so should be removed from the english/admin.php

also this one:
define("_AM_NEWBB_CAN_SIGNATURE", "Can use signature");
this definition is very very confusing and is not webmaster-friendly at all. it should be changed to something like this:

define("_AM_NEWBB_CAN_SIGNATURE", "Can disable/enable signature in posts. default is set in profile module.");

i think by revising this kind of definitions most of the current questions in xoops.org forums about newbb functioning will be answered through the module language definitions when it is installed.
but the challenge is: this newbb module is 10 times bigger and 10 times older than any other module. so revising the definitions is very very time consuming.

to everybody:
I removed all hardcodes from the templates in the last revision . if somebody have time and have the html/smarty/css knowledge, it is really needed to change all templates look because they are old-fashioned. they are all uses tables. if somebody can change them to "div" or add some jQuery it will be very nice looking.

Alfred:
please look at the changes in the last irmtfan branch rev. i need your advise about them. they are mainly removing hardcodes.
Also if you have time it is my pleasure to work with you on this module because IMO after a core all-purposed content module and profile module, newbb is the third most important module to develop for XOOPS.
and the most important part is removing all hardcoded html/css from php files and replacing all possible php commands with their relevant XOOPS functions.

Edit:
Alfred and Mamba:
another thing about newbb 4.3 that i forgot to mentioned before:
All files are windows (CR+LF) but i think it should be UNIX LF.
I can change them.

irmtfan
  • 2012/8/7 7:38

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

I expand the readme.txt file so that it contain more detailed upgrade guide, image customization and FAQ based on the current questions about 4.3
If you think any sentence should be edited please let me know.
Your feedback would be great and welcomed.
Quote:

Newbb 4.3 guide
Requirements: XOOPS 2.5.x php 5.2 mysql 5.0

To Install
=========================
1- close your website. (recommended) be sure you be logged in.
2- upload the newbb to /modules/newbb ( upload the compressed file and decompressed via Cpanel is the best way to insure all files are correctly uploaded)
3- go to your admin -> system -> modules -> install
4- change the default settings to your desired in the module preferences and newbb/include/plugin.php
5- dont forget to open your website again.

To Upgrade from older newbb versions 1.x 2.x 3.0.x
==========================
1- close your website. (highly recommended) be sure you be logged in.
2- get a backup from your old newbb database.(all XOOPSPREFIX_bb_* tables)
3- get a backup from your old newbb/images directory to save your custom old images. Also get a backup from any chnages you done in files.
4- IF EXIST get a backup from your old newbb/include/plugin.php
5- delete your old newbb folder located in modules (or rename it to newbb_old)
6- IF EXIST delete old newbb folder (templates) in htdocs/themes/default/modules/newbb AND htdocs/themes/YOUR_THEME/modules/newbb (or rename it to newbb_old)
7- upload the newbb to htdocs/modules/newbb ( upload the compressed file and decompressed via Cpanel is the best way to insure all files are correctly upload)
8- go to your admin -> system -> modules -> newbb -> upgrade (wait until you see the report page)
9- go to system -> maintenance -> clear all caches
10- change the default settings to your desired in the module preferences and newbb/include/plugin.php and IF EXIST based on your old back-upped plugin.php. Set the permissions in newbb -> admin -> permission for all groups one by one. pay attention that webmasters group has all accesses regardless of permissions. using a non webmaster test account is recommended to manage permissions.
11 - dont forget to open your website again.

Image set Full customization
In newbb 4.3 you can customize all images (like reply, edit, ... buttons and icons) for all themes or each theme one by one without touching the modules/newbb files.
The priority for reading images are as below:
* IF EXISTS XOOPS_ROOT/themes/YOUR_THEME/modules/newbb/images/, TAKE IT;
* ELSEIF EXISTS XOOPS_ROOT/themes/default/modules/newbb/images/, TAKE IT;
* ELSE TAKE XOOPS_ROOT/modules/newbb/templates/images/
The above means, if you want to customize images for all of your themes you should not touch the modules/newbb/templates/images/ folder.
Just upload the image set in XOOPS_ROOT/themes/default/modules/newbb/images and all of your themes will read it from default theme.
Then if you want to customize it for another specific theme you can upload the new image set in XOOPS_ROOT/themes/YOUR_THEME/modules/newbb/images
And you can follow the above for the other themes.

FAQ:
1- How do I set options like HTML and signature behind reply editor box?

for signature:
- the default is defined in Profile module by webmaster for new registered users. in profile -> admin -> fields -> attachsig -> default -> Yes/No(default)
- registered users can change the default in their profiles (if they have permission): in edit profile -> Always attach my signature -> Yes/No
- In newbb the webmaster can set the permission so that different groups had the ability to disable/enable their signatures in different forums behind their posts. In other words, if the user set the attachsig option to No in its profile, the signature is disabled (unchecked) by default and can be enabled in specific posts, otherwise it is enabled (checked) and can be disabled.

for html:
- you can set the permission to allow different groups to use html in different forums.
- the default for allowed groups in allowed forums is hardcoded to enable (check box has always a tick) and user can disable it in each post.

for smilies, xoopscode and br:
- the default is hardcoded to enable (check box has always a tick) and user can disable it in each post.

2- attachments are only showed to registered users. where can i change it to show for guests?
in newbb -> admin -> preferences -> Display attachments only for registered users -> yes(default)/no

3- where can I change the image buttons to text links?
Open newbb/include/plugin.php
change this line:
$customConfig["display_text_links"] = false;
to this:
$customConfig["display_text_links"] = true;

4- where can I change the reply and quick reply default editors to tinymce?
In newbb/include/plugin.php

deka87
  • 2012/8/7 9:15

• deka87

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2007/10/5

irmtfan,

The fresh install behaves alright with no redirection issues.

I followed your 2nd step but I still have the same problem in the updated module.

Quote:

3-1- do you use defacer module?
3-2- do you use SEO urls? _htaccess is used in newbb module?

no defacer, no SEO urls.

Well, I guess the problem is on my side. I will try to make a fresh install and import all posts from the back up. thanks for you help irtmfan!

irmtfan
  • 2012/8/7 10:09

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

Quote:

I followed your 2nd step but I still have the same problem in the updated module.

strange. Are you sure you dont have any newbb folder inside themes folder?
Also do you clear all caches in system -> maintenance.
then go to system -> preferences -> general setting -> set templates for update and set it to yes.

update the newbb module again.
Then try to do more depth debug like this:
1- try default theme in your site to make sure the theme is not cause the problem.
2- disable your other modules one by one and test the newbb redirection after that to see what module cause this issue.
Quote:

I will try to make a fresh install and import all posts from the back up. thanks for you help irtmfan!

IMO it will not solve the issue. so follow the above advices first.

Roby73
  • 2012/8/8 21:17

• Roby73

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2011/6/15

Sorry my question, my english i creates confusion.

The newbb 4.3 official release is the 9883 and in my sites use this..
Version of the Alfred and irmtfan you may consider a merger in new official branches of the irmtfan?

irmtfan
  • 2012/8/9 4:08

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

Roby73:
Im waiting for the Alfred reply. but generally a merger is possible.

deka87:
do you solve your issues with the redirection?
Im waiting for you to release a new version.

Cesag:
I dont know whether your issue with attachments is solved or not?

filpse:
I also dont receive any feed back from you about showing attachments to guests.

deka87
  • 2012/8/9 6:58

• deka87

• Friend of XOOPS

Quote:

deka87:
do you solve your issues with the redirection?
Im waiting for you to release a new version.

Nope, irtmfan. The problem still exists. I am our of ideas.

irmtfan
  • 2012/8/9 7:15

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

I can see the newbb/print.php is outdated and need a total revamp.
If someone can change it to use the new modern template, it would be great.
It is hard and time consuming for me.

deka87:
Ok
do you disable all modules in your website and change to the default xoops 2.5.5 original theme?
I still think there is an issue with theme/templates.

could you show me the source code of your website in the following URLs:
- viewtopic.php
- newtopic.php
- reply.php
Also please turn the debug mode on and after submitting a reply take a source code from newbb/post.php redirection page.
then copy and paste here
Then i can follow up.

irmtfan
  • 2012/8/11 4:24

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

deka87,
You were right and i was totally wrong because xoops.org newbb has the exact same issue as yours.
Im sorry for my misunderstanding.
I still think it is a bug in xoops 2.5.5
please contribute with me and report here to solve this issue asap.
Please let me know if you have a custom tpl set other than default?
if yuo use a custom tpl set please change it to default.
in admin -> system -> preferences -> general setting -> template set -> default

then update newbb module and let me know if it is solved your issue.

deka87
  • 2012/8/11 14:16

• deka87

• Friend of XOOPS

irmtfan,

yes I have 2 additional template sets left from when I used previous versions of xoops but it's set to Default in the preferences.

Login

Who's Online

224 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 224

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits