playsome
xcgal_data cookie what does it do (trying to get eu cookie complient)
  • 2012/6/5 19:31

• playsome

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2009/4/15

Hi All,

As you probably know (well, those of you based in the EU/UK), there is a new cookie directive set which basicaly states that websites must provide info to visitors about what cookies are used on the website.

In an effort to get the xoops website I run for a non profit organisation up to speed and after looking at advice posted on various sites I have opted to update my privacy policy and list the cookies used on the site & the purpose of the cookies, however i can't seem to figure out what xcgal_data cookie does, i figured its maybe something left over from coppermine or is it just for members who can upload photos? (we don't have members except staff), any ideas?

thanks

Peekay
Re: xcgal_data cookie what does it do (trying to get eu cookie complient)
  • 2012/6/5 20:35

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

I don't use that module, but I would suspect it is required to maintain a state during uploads. I would just say it is needed by the photo gallery application.

Cookies that are considered essential for Xoops (or any CMS) to provide the requested service (viewing the site) are OK to set. For example, Xoops PHPSESSID falls into that category.

The kinds of cookie that now require you to ask permission before setting them are:

* Tracking cookies used by services such as Google analytics, Web-Trends, Core Metrics etc.
* Tracking cookies set by third-party advertisers.
* Cookies that use search queries and page tracking to display related products on return visits, e.g. to an ecommerce site.
* Cookies that store details to personalise your visit.

These cookies may be beneficial to the site operators, but they are NOT considered essential for people to view the site, so they fall under the new rules.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

jagibu
  • 2012/6/7 15:41

• jagibu

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/6/17

My first look on ...
cookie is used for picture rating :

// Add 1 to hit counter
if ($album != "topn" && $album != "lasthits" && !in_array($pid, $USER['liv']) && isset($_COOKIE[$xoopsModuleConfig['cookie_name'].'_data'])){

Data i n cookie:

"user profile" but xoops $USER vars like (encoded)

Array
(
[ID] => b23a2f5da7a2c5a3130bbe6151a110af
[am] => 1
[liv] => Array
(
[0] => 13
)

)

P.S if You want change rating function in xcgal or disable cookies give me info.

In changelog
v2.0.3
- Bug in picture rating when cookies are enabled
.. but working for me
www.artcode.eu
www.polfran.pl
www.sitkowskibor.pl

playsome
  • 2012/6/7 20:12

• playsome

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2009/4/15

Hi, thanks for the info on the xcgal cookie, I'll need to update my cookie policy.

I don't have picture rating used on my gallery, just simple viewing of pictures. Would it be possible to stop xcgal generating the cookie entirely? if so could it have any negative effects on anything else to do with the module?

Thanks

Peekay
  • 2012/6/7 21:59

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

I would simply explain that 'xyz' cookie is required to view the photo gallery and is essential to prevent users from rating an item more than once. It comes under the category of anti-spam (widely considered essential) so I really wouldn't worry about it.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

jagibu
  • 2012/6/9 18:36

• jagibu

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/6/17

You can test this patched version of xcGal

xcGal 2.07 artCode RC

Removed
- cookies xcgal
- removed from template icon "send ecard" for anonymous user when have not right ( was java alert only )

Fixed
- rating pictures displayed for anonymous when this disabled in album

TODO
- thickbox not work in Opera 11.64 W7 64bit
www.artcode.eu
www.polfran.pl
www.sitkowskibor.pl

Login

Who's Online

201 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 201

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits