TenLong
Modules and Xoops templates
  • 2012/5/11 4:06

• TenLong

• Just popping in

• Since: 2012/5/3 1

Hello,

i have a problem with some modules and xoops themes. If i choose a theme different from the default theme the appearance of some modules is horrible. For example the ipb_blue_2 theme with the download modules WF-downloads or TDMdownload. The alternative theme scrambles the whole layout of the download module pages. Is there any trick to prevent this bad influence of themes on the modules appearance? Like it is now, the modules are practicably unusable.

greets

TenLong

Peekay
Re: Modules and Xoops templates
  • 2012/5/11 10:21

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

There were some standard CSS classes like 'even', 'odd' and 'outer' that module designers could use for table elements to made modules look consistent. If the theme designer doesn't include these in the theme CSS, then the browser default will get used.

Often you simply have to add new classes to the theme CSS for the module elements and/or change the template slightly.

Targeting elements inside tables has also changed over the years, so whereas .myclass may have once worked, you might now need to use td#rightcolumn .myclass if the theme uses tables.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

TenLong
  • 2012/5/11 17:32

• TenLong

• Just popping in

Hello PeeKay,

thank you for the tips. Unfortunately i dont really see the problem in the code. The template wfdownload_viewcat.html (which shows the list of downloadable programs)
does only use css classes provided by the wfdownload module. If i use the standard theme of xoops, the download list looks completely different. In this case the formatting is different with 3 columns. If i use another theme, all is quite scrambled and only 2 columns are used. Any idea why this is so strange? When in the template only wfdownload css classes are used then it should always look the same or not?

greets

TenLong

Peekay
  • 2012/5/11 19:08

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

It depends on the theme, but AFAIK as long as theme.html has the entry:

<{$xoops_module_header}>

Then the module CSS should be loaded. You might want to check the HTML on the homepage to see if this has happened.

To be honest, you generally run into the issue of liking a modern theme that fails to account for old modules, or the other way round. It is a little bit hit and miss.

Of course it could also be due to a change in the way that the latest Xoops deals with themes that I am not aware of. Unfortunately, often the only time you find out something has changed in Xoops is when something breaks.

Hopefully a theme designer will shed some light on your specific problem. Thankfully there are a lot of themes to choose from.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

TenLong
  • 2012/5/25 6:52

• TenLong

• Just popping in

ok i found out something for two modules which are scrambled up:
WFdownload and Profile.

I enabled either default theme or the ipb_blue_2 theme in administration settings, then I viewed the webpage and saved the html code in firefox. In doing so i noticed that in the case of the ipb_blue_2 theme some css styles are not imported.

For example the "Profile module" does not include the css

<link rel="stylesheet" href="https://wepage/language/english/style.css" type="text/css" />

if the ipb_blue_2 theme is used. The width of each table row is then different which is annoying.

The wfdownloads module makes even more strange things since it does not include its own css styles, i.e.

<link rel="stylesheet" href="https://webpage/modules/wfdownloads/module.css" type="text/css" />
<link rel="stylesheet" href="https://webpage/modules/wfdownloads/thickbox.css" type="text/css" />

are missing if the ipb_blue_2 theme is used. If "default theme" is used they become included.

Especially for wfdownloads i dont understand this behavior since the viecat.php imports both style sheets. I have no idea where the import gets failed and why the final webpage does not contain the imports.

Any idea? Fails in css imports are very annoying for the usage of modules. I would suggest to revise all modules with regard to this issue.

Greets

Ten Long

TenLong
  • 2012/5/25 7:43

• TenLong

• Just popping in

This is definitely not the cache bug reported before. I disabled caching for all modules.

I now have the feeling that the problem is related to the theme, since the default theme gets the css information. However, the "theme.html" from default theme does not have any include area. Where are the css of $xoTheme included to the theme before showing the webpage?

TenLong
  • 2012/5/25 9:47

• TenLong

• Just popping in

aaargs, it was so small i didnt see it.

The ipb_blue_2 theme misses an important entry in the "theme.html":

<!-- customized header contents -->
<{$xoops_module_header}>

Problem finally solved

Mamba
  • 2012/5/25 13:52

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Thank you for reporting back the cause of the issue!
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Login

Who's Online

156 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 156

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits