kaper
Performance issue - XOOPS site gets throttled
  • 2011/9/7 5:50

• kaper

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/4/26

Please give me some hint what should I check.

I have a small internal XOOPS-based site, hosted on a PC with Linux. When it is a little bit more utilized, it gets "throttled" - gives absolutely blank page, with no error messagess (regardless of debug settings), just null. After a few dozens of seconds (30-60) page becomes accessible again, until again it is reloaded / changed too quickly.

With an extcal main page, I try doing subsequent reloads - after about 4 - 5 reloads page goes blank until I wait about a minute, then I can succesfully reload.

It seems to be only a XOOPS problem, because when it is hanging, I could load other simple pages (say containing phpinfo() ).

I tried changing host system - changing Linux distribution didn't help. Neither clearing XOOPS cache nor repairing DB tables (from admin maintenaince page). The problem occured before and after upgrading XOOPS from 2.3.3 to 2.5.1a.

Any hint appreciated. Thanks!

MACTEP
Re: Performance issue - XOOPS site gets throttled
  • 2011/9/7 18:48

• MACTEP

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2009/4/4 5

Weak/overloaded server.
For a solution of a problem, remove unnecessary processes.

In a file php.ini find a line max_execution_time = 60 and replace on 120

andrey3761

In the file mainfile.php in the beginning to finish line:

ini_set( 'max_execution_time', '120' );

mboyden
  • 2011/9/7 20:40

• mboyden

• Since: 2005/3/9 1

Do you have protector module installed? This sounds like it could be giving you the blank page for too many page requests. You can turn off protector temporarily to see if that is the issue and then change the settings. I've run into this one some of my sites.
Pessimists see difficulty in opportunity; Optimists see opportunity in difficulty. --W Churchill

XOOPS: Latest | Debug | Hosting and Web Development

trabis
  • 2011/9/7 21:01

• trabis

• Core Developer

• Since: 2006/9/1 1

You should turn debug on and look at 'timers' and 'queries' tab.

See if everything is taking equal time to load or if you can isolate the problem.

kaper
  • 2011/9/8 5:10

• kaper

• Just popping in

Disabling protector helped so that blank appeared after 10 instead of 5 reloads. The problem must come from something else.

kaper
  • 2011/9/8 5:14

• kaper

• Just popping in

Спасибо.

The server is a Pentium4 PC with 1 GB RAM, top shows about 10 proc. CPU utilization, no swapping.
The problem occurs when I am the only client, noone else is accessing the server.

Changing max_execution_time doesn't help.

kaper
  • 2011/9/8 5:16

• kaper

• Just popping in

Turning debugging on does,'t help - the blank is truly blank - a null HTML output.

kaper
[SOLVED] Performance issue - XOOPS site gets throttled
  • 2011/9/21 11:33

• kaper

• Just popping in

Finally I found out that what was a problem for me, actually was an intended acting of Protector. My activity at the XOOPS site was interpreted as an F5 (refresh) DoS attactk and after a specified amount or page reloads, a blank screen was returned for a specified amount of time. All three parameters (reload count, response action, timeout) are configured at Protctor preferences page.

Formerly, according to advice, I have tried to to turn Protector off, I really don't know why then it didn't help. Maybe upgrading from ancient to contemporary version was the proper treatment.

Login

Who's Online

222 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 222

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits