chefry
Re: If we were to start a 2.6 Branch what would you like to see.
  • 2011/8/17 10:31

• chefry

• Home away from home

• Since: 2006/10/14

I made some suggestions about a month ago regarding the image manager. it would be nice if they were incorporated.

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=73918&forum=11&post_id=339346#forumpost339346

jcweb
  • 2011/8/17 13:44

• jcweb

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/4/25

Dear friends

I was sick last weeks so i cannot follow all the threads arround this theme and the new situation. So i will only note some words arround new versions and or new features.

My meaning is, it can not only be a question of the core files if they runs without bugs or issues. One day we have a bug free system, but we have no bug free modules. I d´ont know it is possible that xoopps can try to deliver some standard modules, ex: (not with the core files but ready to use)

- download module
- calendar module
- forum module
- image module
- file manager (not only to use in the admin section)
- static content module
- weblink module

did i forget some? With standard i mean that the user can be sure that these modules run under the current version of xoops. Sometimes it is pure frustation and to contact the module devs is in some cases really a problem.

That is my meaning arround this thread.
Greets Andy

redheadedrod

Quote:

jcweb wrote:
Dear friends

I was sick last weeks so i cannot follow all the threads arround this theme and the new situation. So i will only note some words arround new versions and or new features.

My meaning is, it can not only be a question of the core files if they runs without bugs or issues. One day we have a bug free system, but we have no bug free modules. I d´ont know it is possible that xoopps can try to deliver some standard modules, ex: (not with the core files but ready to use)

The first priority is to get a bug free 2.5 series. Then they will be looking to improve the 2.x branch by working on a 2.6 but NOT until 2.5 is bug free.

Check out the "Basic Modules pack". That is an attempt to do exactly what you are looking at. This is a group of modules set to work with 2.5 and should work well. There are no feature upgrades other than a universal admin interface. (See the drop down advertisement when you first logged in for a link.)

Rodney

btesec
  • 2011/8/17 19:01

• btesec

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2007/2/20

I suggest that their is a need to efficiently manage the posting of modules releases within the Xoops site its hard to keep track for existing users and even difficult for new comers to find out modules, its time consuming. maybe a mod needs to be developed for this purpose, I see other CMSs already have such a system in place, why not implement it in Xoops.
regards,
btesec

redheadedrod

I actually would like to see some changes to the file repository but I am not in a position at this time to modify the one here.

I like the system they have with firefoxes downloading of add ons.

Rodney

bjuti
  • 2011/8/18 10:21

• bjuti

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2009/1/7 2

Decent image manager and url rewrite in the core.

voltan
  • 2011/8/21 9:09

• voltan

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2006/12/5

I Think X2.6 is not good idea . but if you want do it please Consider some things :

1- X2 core is too Heavy and in large sites it have problem. Please focuses to Making Light New core

2- When I work on fmcontent module and I use mod_rewrite for make better URLs I see many problems in core. I hope new core support new urls ( for example comment , pagenav , search )

3- The big problem is all template saved in DB . please remove this part and read templates from files

4- Add official content module in core

5- Again work on core to make it light It's very important . we have to change some of our big websites CMS from XOOPS to other

Mamba
  • 2011/8/21 10:46

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
1- X2 core is too Heavy and in large sites it have problem. Please focuses to Making Light New core

Can you describe in more details what do you understand by "too heavy"?

- to many files
- to large distribution package
- using too much memory
- creating too many queries
- too slow
- other?

What would be the main characteristics/features of a "light" 2.6 version for you? The more details you give the more it will be helpful to the Core developers...

Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

trabis
  • 2011/8/21 10:56

• trabis

• Core Developer

• Since: 2006/9/1 1

I think "to heavy" means to much DB queries and poor cache mechanisms. Once a site gets popular is hard to keep it on a shared hosting, the ROI is often low.

timgno
  • 2011/8/21 11:07

• timgno

• Module Developer

• Since: 2007/6/21

I believe we can do:

Implement more code in the core, compared to modules eases, and use this code with implementations oop, rather than structural.

Ability to make better use of plugins, with good guides with php and smarty

Possibly create a css file, as xoops.css, which has more code than style.css, of the theme with multi-service properties

Login

Who's Online

205 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 205

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits