Mamba
XOOPS Solution for a Radio Station?
  • 2011/8/8 15:38

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

We have several developers who are also involved in radio stations (e..g. Culex, Ian Underwood).

I am curious if we could create a "turn-key solution" for a Radio Station using/adopting existing modules, and creating some new that are missing in such a solution?

What are the typical modules required for a Radio Station?
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

timgno
Re: XOOPS Solution for a Radio Station?
  • 2011/8/8 15:45

• timgno

• Module Developer

• Since: 2007/6/21

Radiostream I had created for a list of radio listening still in beta, if you want you can use that, here is a demo

iunderwood

This is a considerably interesting topic to me as I have spent a fair amount of time on the UHQ_Radio module.

Granted, this particular module has been created with my own particular wants and needs in mind and while I hope someday to arrive at the feature-complete stage, my next actual release will be fresh-install compatible.

One important consideration for making something turnkey is identifying what the technical requirements of the station are that we'd like to attract, or who may be interested.

I am feature-complete as far as interfacing with IceCast goes, Shoutcast not so much, and no other streaming servers for the moment. Automation is limited entirely to SAM Broadcaster 3 and 4. I'm fairly happy w/ the module, but as everyone knows, there is always room for improvement.

http://www.powerfrag.fm - Radio & Requests will bring you to the module to poke around. UI still needs some cleanup and redo, but it's a work in progress as always.
++I;
Resized Image

timgno
  • 2011/8/9 7:47

• timgno

• Module Developer

Why, we don't propose to create for ourselves of small roles in building modules proposed here? For example, if a user provides a type of module as an assembler and debugger nominate 'mamba', other users share code to work the php, templates, javascript or jquery. Let's see what we can do starting with this radio module and start again, using mainly the core code. I noticed in different modules so that there is php code unnecessary.

Begin?

P.S: @Mamba If you want to create a graph with a news to announce, if you want, this important collaboration, would be ideal

Mamba
  • 2011/8/9 8:25

• Mamba

Before we start with any coding, we would need to learn what functionality is required for a basic radio station?

There are some complex system like Denari with tons of features, and there are some modules for Drupal and for Joomla.

So maybe people who are involved with Radio Stations (Culex and Ian) could tell us if there is any need for something from XOOPS, in other words - if utilizing their existing modules could we put together a "turn-key" solution that would be attractive for radio stations?

There is also an interesting inquiry for Joomla module:

Quote:
I'm looking for an experienced Joomla developer to create a component and module for a radio station. The component would allow an admin to schedule shows or djs on multiple days and times. The module(s) would grab the appropriate information from the component. It would display what show/dj is currently on air, what show/dj is up next, with a countdown displaying how many days, hours, minutes to said show or dj and display an image for said show/dj. A second module would display the full weeks schedule in a calender style with a 24 hour format.

It would be nice to say in such a case: why Joomla? XOOPS will give you all the functionality that you're looking for, and more

But I agree with you - it would be interesting to create a team with different expertise and see if we could work together and create such a solution
Support XOOPS => DONATE

timgno
  • 2011/8/9 16:54

• timgno

• Module Developer

I have seen and read the link you attached, and I must say that it is very clear and intuitive as the initial set up a graph. In addition to encourage the community to participate, I studied with the paypal team, to use paypal to receive payments this group of works done by a team. What do you think this can spur?

We must study how to proceed with the work.

mboyden
  • 2011/8/9 21:30

• mboyden

• Since: 2005/3/9 1

The KOOP Radio website (community radio in Austin, TX, USA) was built on XOOPS:

www.koop.org

XOOPS 2.4.5
Publisher 1.0a (SVN rev 217)
Article 2.00RC
CBB 3.08 (internal)
MRBS 1.41-02 (internal)
News 1.63
Onair 1.04 (heavily modified)
piCal 0.92
SmartFAQs 1.08
Survey (BlueMoon) 0.97 (internal)
WF-Channel 2.05b
xForms 1.2
Protector 3.41
AltSys 0.71a
Profiles 1.58
XoopsCare 1.22
XoopsInfo 2.14
Backup/Restore 3.0
WaitingContents 0.95c
iStats 2.2
iSearch 1.8
MultiMenu 2.08
xoRewriteModule
FCKeditor 2.6.6

The theme operation owes thanks to the Morphogenesis theme giving inspiration from a function/design standpoint. We enhanced for people of disability and with jQuery for interactivity. Much more is planned as we move forward.

Note a few of the modules have either been bug-fixed and/or modified; notes and info have always been sent back to the authors for their inclusion in future versions.
Pessimists see difficulty in opportunity; Optimists see opportunity in difficulty. --W Churchill

XOOPS: Latest | Debug | Hosting and Web Development

Mamba
  • 2011/8/10 3:08

• Mamba

Mark, your KOOP Website looks very nice!
That's exactly what I was thinking about

To have something like this, and package it as a generic "turn-key solution", so people could download it, customize the theme, and use it without the needs for any extra modules.

So your list of modules could be a very good start...

I just would love to see a list of various turn-key solutions that we could offer, for example:

- radio station
- school alumni Website
- nonprofit organization
- artist Website
- small on-line business
- online news or magazine
- school

etc.

They would be more specialized than our generic Module Packs.

So people wouldn't have to ask - which modules do I have to download it, but they could select the solution they are looking for, and be done.
Support XOOPS => DONATE

timgno
  • 2011/8/10 7:30

• timgno

• Module Developer

The ideas bloom

I have a script that could be useful if you were to create a team that counts lines of code a developer writes:

find . -name '*.php' xargs cat sed -re ':top //*.**// { s//*.**///g ; t top }; //*/ { N ; b top }' awk '$0 !~ /^[t[:space:]]*($|(//)|(#))/' wc -l

Valid for Windows, linux and others

This can be paid the proper rewards for everyone using what I said in my previous message for PayPal API

Why not create a business section, here on xoops.org?

All customers who wish to apply for a module or a theme, they will know where to turn.

mboyden
  • 2011/8/10 15:17

• mboyden

• Since: 2005/3/9 1

I have to ask how this reply is relevant to the topic.

Also, FWIW
I
can
write
code
in a single line
or break
it up into
many lines
to get paid as much as I'd wish
using that forumula.

Finally, there is an area for listing and contacting developers, the link is on many x.o pages in the right column as a graphic called "Developers for hire!"
Pessimists see difficulty in opportunity; Optimists see opportunity in difficulty. --W Churchill

XOOPS: Latest | Debug | Hosting and Web Development

Login

Who's Online

178 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 178

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits