redheadedrod
2.5 style GUI changes...

Thought this deserved a different topic...

Since you are changing the GUI of some modules I thought it would be nice to hear what you are doing and how you are progressing with these?

I am doing a major overhaul of tplleaguestats right now and am working on the GUI so it would be beneficial to see what you are doing.

(Sure I can download a module and look for myself but...)

I am also curious if someone is building a "universal" icon pack that we can use what we want from to make it all look similar.

Would be nice to have such a thing so we can actually set it up easily.

Thanks!

Rodney

Mamba
Re: 2.5 style GUI changes...
  • 2011/3/1 12:58

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
(Sure I can download a module and look for myself but...)

Yes, that would be the easiest way to do

Basically, we are standardizing on the approach done by the TDM Team in their modules, and how the TDMCreate module creates new modules. There was also ideas/code from Kris and Mojtaba.

It's more about standardization than about brand new approach to Module Admin GUI.

One of the things that we're using is:

$modversion['system_menu'] = 1;

so the menus are generated automatically by XOOPS.

I'll try to put guidelines on how to convert an existing module to the new GUI. It's actually not that difficult.

Below you can see some screenshots:

ForContent:
Resized Image

MyLinks:
Resized Image

Xoops Partners:
Resized Image

As you can see, all of them look similar, so the first time user will have easier to find his way around here. We are also looking at standardizing About and Help pages:

About:
Resized Image
Here the data will be taken automatically from xoops_version.php, and from "changelog.txt" files that are already in the system.

Help:
Resized Image

Of course, we hope to get some feedback from people about it

Regarding icons, we'll be using mainly Crystal icons. Once we're done with this current "Module Refresh" I'll merge the icons with the standard descriptions (e.g. Edit, Delete, Copy, Permissions, etc.)

This is still work in progress...
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

redheadedrod

Sounds like a good direction.

I will be looking more at the modules you have already "updated".

I am curious about these Crystal Icons though.

I am assuming they are some sort of public domain Icons?

Would like to hear more about those.

Also, is there support for language specific help files?

Rodney

Mamba
  • 2011/3/1 16:31

• Mamba

Download Crystal Icons from here
Support XOOPS => DONATE

redheadedrod

Thanks, will look at those later...

I am still curious though if there is a way to allow for different languages for the help files?

Mamba
  • 2011/3/1 17:28

• Mamba

You really need to download one of the modules

The help files are stored in the language directory, i.e. the English system will pull the English help file, and the French system will pull the French help file.

Warning: the modules are currently only for testing, and the language variables are a little bit messy. They will be cleaned up later on, incl. some of their names.
Support XOOPS => DONATE

redheadedrod

I have downloaded a couple of the modules but it makes the job alot easier when I have a start on what to look for.

Thanks again... ;)

Rodney

redheadedrod

I already asked this in a different thread but why are these 2.5 only mods? 2.4.5 is the lastest stable release and should support everything that 2.5 has. Maybe 2.5.1 will be stable enough to put on a site full time but maybe it will be 2.5.2 or 2.5.3. But at this time it is not a stable release as there are numerous issues.

Anything that is upgraded to modules SHOULD be first made compatible with 2.4.5 and secondly 2.5.

I personally can't move my team website to 2.5 because a number of modules do not work with 2.5 but work with 2.0.x and 2.4.x series just fine.

Or am I missing some huge great feature in 2.5 that makes it a whole lot better than 2.4.5 and modules have to be updated to use it?

My understanding was that 2.5 was more of an admin expansion making an admins life easier. The vast majority of support code for modules was the same and nothing new was supported as far as I was aware. Other than Jquery being standard which was the case since 2.4.4 if I am not mistaken?

Rodney

Mamba
  • 2011/3/2 13:06

• Mamba

Quote:
I already asked this in a different thread but why are these 2.5 only mods?

Consider them as a "special 2.5.0 edition"

The goal was to make "cosmetic changes" so they share the same "Look & feel", but not add any new features. So if you're currently using the current version on 2.4.5, you wouldn't miss anything.

These "refreshed" modules were planned for our new first time users who come to our Website and download 2.5.0. Therefore they are tested only on 2.5.0

2.5.0 is our latest stable version. We're using it on XOOPS site and don't have any problems. Of course, I am aware that there are some bugs, and they should be addressed and fixed in 2.5.1.

Please provide a list of your modules that don't work, and detailed list of the bugs that prevent you from moving to 2.5.0.

I think, it's a better use of our time and resources to fix the bugs in 2.5.0, instead of testing modules on both 2.5.0 and 2.4.5, wouldn't you agree? We need to get to a situation where we have to support only one official version, which of course is stable and as bug-free as the previous version.

So as a community, let's get together and let's focus on reporting and fixing all 2.5.0 bugs.

I really would love to have a VERY ACTIVE collaboration of all our developers and users this and next week to fix all possible 2.5.0 bugs.

Please report all 2.5.0 bugs here, and also in our SourceForge Tracker
Support XOOPS => DONATE

redheadedrod

I agree to a point and once the 2.5 bugs are worked out then fine.

2.4 was made to move to php5 from php4.

2.5 seems to be mostly admin control panel tweaks but nothing that should really be affecting modules. So if a module works with 2.4.5 it SHOULD be working with 2.5 unless there are bugs in 2.5.

And it is likely once these bugs are worked out of 2.5 then this will become a moot point.

At this point when I see someone says they have a problem with a module and they are using 2.5 I tell them to try 2.4.5 and if the problem goes away to post it as an issue in the 2.5 thread.

The two modules I use that don't work with 2.5 are imenu and groups. With imenu the child menus do not work and with groups I only get a blank screen.

I will do a little trouble shooting this weekend and see what I can figure out. I could probably get by without groups and I am going to be building drop down menus into my theme which should make the imenu a moot point but I have tried other modules that don't work in 2.5 that still work in 2.4.5 but hopefully those bugs getting fixed will take care of them.

But again, anything working in 2.5 SHOULD be working with 2.4.5??

Rodney

Login

Who's Online

197 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 197

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits