jcweb
mydownloads bug, permission issue
  • 2011/1/24 11:59

• jcweb

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/4/25

I (not only i have the problem) that the permission function not work in the mydownloads module v1.6. The problem:

In the main menu you have the submit link to send new downloads. We set the permission that only admins (admin group) can submit new downloads. But the user groups can submit too, the permissions not work.

We find the problem under xoops 2.5.0. I mean we can comment out the submit link from the main menu, but if we want give any other user group the pemission to send new downloads, we must give them access to the admin section. We solve this for now and link to the admin section (so only admins have access to this section) to the submit section, but this is a hook and only a dirty fix for now. If you have some day a spammer on board, he will send downloads you dont want to have. I will not say its a security issue, but when someone send a download on files or websites with spyware or trojans this will be a problem. Any suggestion for us?

Thanks in advance!
Andy

Mamba
Re: mydownloads bug, permission issue
  • 2011/1/25 6:37

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

What is the debugger saying? Any error messages?
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Mamba
  • 2011/1/25 7:52

• Mamba

Andy, I checked that and it seems like you can specify the category to which the Registered user can add entries.

If you don't specify any, then the Category selection remains empty, and the user cannot add anything.

But it would be better if the "Submit" link should not show at all, if the Registered user has no Categories that he is allowed to add new download entries.

Please check on your installation if the user can actually add anything if he has no Category assigned.
Support XOOPS => DONATE

jcweb
  • 2011/1/25 17:09

• jcweb

• Quite a regular

First thanks for reply mamba!

This is my problem, the debugger shows nothing, only:
Class 'XoopsTree' is deprecatedcheck 'XoopsObjectTree' in tree.php

But this error have nothing to do with the permission. I check again and again the permissions. I set the user grous have access to see and download catagories and files. I set the user groups can not submit in any category, but they can and i dont know why. There are only these two option:

1. Only see and download
2. See and download and submit

I mean i found a solution for me and for a website i can give them the right to submit downloads, but we have some public websites, there will be a problem, because some user groups should have the right to submit downloads. If i give the admin module rights for the module, they can create new categories etc. and this is something they should not can do.

My problem is dear mamba and i know of some other user too, we have at the moment no download module which will work without a problem. The the smartfactory modules we have no confidence (sorry but it is as it is) and the tdmdownload module is buggy too. I would be nice we xoopser have a simple download module as mydownloads.

I ckeck it out some minutes ago on a 2.4.5 installation, same problem.

Greets and thanks again!
Andy

Mamba
  • 2011/1/25 18:11

• Mamba

Quote:
I set the user groups can not submit in any category, but they can and i dont know why.

Can somebody else confirm it that the user can submit a download entry, even if the group doesn't have a permission to any category?

When I tested, the user got to see the "submit form", but since he was not allowed to submit to any category, the category drop down was empty. But the Category is a required field, therefore he could not submit anything because XOOPS would be asking for category, but there was no category, so the only option for the user was to cancel the submission.

The most logical way would be to rewrite the module so if there is no category allowed for the user, the link to "Submit" won't show up. Then there is no confusion.
Support XOOPS => DONATE

jcweb
  • 2011/1/29 16:29

• jcweb

• Quite a regular

Dear mamba
Thanks for investigation, i take a again a look to that. The situation is at the moment:

The user which have no permission to submit a download, he see the submenu entry "Submit". Ok thats not nice. He can fill out the form, thats not nice too, but he cannot choose a category and he cannot finished the download, because if he click on the submit button, the system tells him:

You must choose a category.

The only thing and that will be great, if anyone can take a look, that the user groups they did not have the permission, the submenu point "Submit" not see. I will say, it is a optical problem and sure a little bug, but its not a security problem.

Thanks agains!
Greets Andy

Login

Who's Online

224 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 224

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits