zombieskwerl
Upgrade or Modify Current Version

I inherited the job of managing a site that is running version 2.0.6 of XOOPS. While I'm an old hand at forums and I know php and such, I've never dealt with XOOPS before... so I beg the indulgence of this forum for some advice.

The site is bombarded with spam comments and user registration every day. That's my first task to fix.

Should I upgrade to the latest version of XOOPS or try to hack this old version to include some form of captcha?

My fear in upgrading is that I will loose any current modules, settings, or content.

My fear in hacking is that I have no idea about this system.

Any advice?

redheadedrod
Re: Upgrade or Modify Current Version

The version of Xoops you are running is very old and likely full of problems.

Depending on how much you want to save from the site there is quite a difference between where you are and where you want to go.

Your SIMPLEST way to do this if you have spammers and a bunch of other issues is to start over from scratch.

Look at what the modules you are using are being used for and look for more modern versions of the same modules or ones that will perform the same functions for things you still want to do.

Install a program such as xampp or wamp onto your windows based machine. Mamp I believe if you are on a mac or make sure the LAMP modules are installed if you are using a linux machine.

The idea is to try making a new system on your machine at home to test out features, compatibility and function. When you are ready to go you can move from this "test server" onto your normal server. You CAN actually develop the whole site at home and just move this to the "hot" server if you know what you are doing but you can at least do the work at home first to see how much you want to do...

I would suggest moving up to xoops version 2.4.5 for now. I have seen a few inconsistencies with 2.5 to trust it fully for MY HOST although I do have a site running on it. If you want to give it a try however you CAN install it on your home server and see how it works.. And it would be simple to move from 2.4.5 to 2.5 if you decide to do so.

Hope this makes sense..

Rodney

Attending College working towards Bachelors in Software Engineering and Network Security.

Login

Who's Online

480 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 480

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits