AndyM
Is there still interest in my modules? (Articles, AM Events, etc)
  • 2010/9/27 20:19

• AndyM

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/8/31

A few years ago I wrote some modules for XOOPS, which include Articles (please do not confuse with the similar named module called Article), AM Events and a couple of others that I started but never got to a proper release stage. My modules home is athttp://support.sirium.net

Due to health and other personal reasons, I had to stop developing them and they have (IMO) fallen behind and are somewhat "stale", even though they still work with the latest releases of XOOPS (I believe).

However, now I think I have time to work on them again - the problem is I don't use XOOPS as much these days and tend to either use Wordpress or Joomla (spit), mainly because I simply can't sell XOOPS as it *still* does not have a built in SEO URL solution.

And Joomla and Wordpress usually has all the modules/plugins you could need, so there's little need to write my own for them.

So now that I do not have the need for myself any more, it makes me ask the question - do you still want me to develop my modules? Is there any demand for them?

I'm also interested to know if people would be willing to make donations as an incentive? BTW I have had a donation thing on the side of the web site for years, but have never received one single donation. Not sure if I would if it was more obvious. Please bear in mind that the modules would remain free, unlike many Joomla plugins.

Burning
Re: Is there still interest in my modules? (Articles, AM Events, etc)
  • 2010/9/27 22:15

• Burning

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2006/8/22

hi' AndyM,

Thanks for your proposal.

1. Articles

In my opinion you should not spend your time with Articles module, because xoopers have already very good ones :
• News (and now xNews) and AMS
• Publisher (an enchanced version of smartsection)
• Content
• ... etc (take a look to the resource book,https://xoops.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=5484)

2. AM Contact

There is no need (or no emergency) about a contact module. We have xForms module wich replaces Liaise. And many other modules to manage forms (Formulize).

3. AM Mini Gallery

May be useful because I'm not sure that a very light gallery is already available. We have some powerful module to manage galleries : TDMPictures, myAlbum (still here !), TadGallery, eXtGallery

4. AM Events

Your module AM Events could be very useful. We have some modules but no more developed (eXtCal, Pical) or not compatible with last Xoops version.

Xoops need modules developers, there are gaps about modules :
• ecommerce (Oledrion works but there are several bugs)
• google maps manager (Googlemaps by Marco works fine but Google has evolved, this module not)
• adhesion module

I hope you will help us again :) !
Still learning CSS and... english

bjuti
  • 2010/9/27 22:43

• bjuti

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2009/1/7 2

Focus on AM Mini Gallery. You could add sef urls (seo) in it, or even merge it with MyAlbum-p. Add some jquery effects etc. I like the idea of Am gallery.

Don't give up :)

AndyM
  • 2010/9/27 23:59

• AndyM

• Quite a regular

Thanks for the replies!

To answer some stuff, and give a little background or info on modules (some were started over 5 years ago, and things have changed since then):

Articles
My first module - I don't think SmartSection existed back then, and there was only the very basic (and IMHO terrible) "Sections" module. I forget what else there may have been at the time.

This module is dead in the water now anyway, and I had planned a "version 2", but all my notes and the initial module was lost in a HD crash.

AM Contact
This came about because there was no module with a decent Captcha solution. Liaise was also overkill for what I wanted.

I think I will just "polish" it off at some point and make it a full release.

AM mini gallery
Came about as I needed a simple way of adding/embedding a small gallery into an article. But at the time there was no way to do this without editing a main XOOPS file, which a lot of people either could not do, or were not willing. Of course, it's apparently easy to extend the text sanitiser class now (although I have no idea how this is done yet).

I think I will continue with this module.

AM Events
I no longer need this module myself, but I did at the time. This version is dead in the water as inexperience meant I made a basic mistake and it is essentially a security risk.

I will need to start from scratch with this module. A "version 2" was planned.

AM Reviews
I got very close to a release version of this, but it was lost in the HD crash mentioned above. I did manage to retrieve an older version from CVS, but all my notes, code sample and hours of work was lost - along with my will to continue with it.

I may restart this module.

AM Directory
A directory module I wrote specifically for one web site at [url]http://www.dogs-welcome.co.uk/modules/amdirectory/[/url] - work on the site has also stopped, but you canb view it by logging in as guest (both user and pass).

Let me know what you think of it. I may try and finish it and release it.

AM HTError
Was an attempt to make an easy way to display and log 404 pages, and stuff, integrating it into XOOPS. I think it's useful

I think I will carry on with this module.

I think that's mostly it. Apologies if I've bored anyone.

noo-b
  • 2010/9/28 3:33

• noo-b

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2007/10/23

Thank you andy

I have tried many calendar module - pical, extcal etc but i like your amevents module the most....

I'm using amevents in my xoops 2.45 and so far have no problem

but would like to have an option to add field and disable field

would like to see the continuation development
of

amevent
am mini gallery
amdirectory

welcome back
I Love Xoops

Mazarin
  • 2010/9/28 8:01

• Mazarin

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2008/12/10

PLEASE develop AMEvent. XOOPS really needs a full featured calendar module.

Anonymous
  • 2010/9/28 9:23

• Anonymous

• Since:

Welcome back Andrew

Mamba
  • 2010/9/28 12:29

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Andy, welcome back!

It's always nice to see people coming back to XOOPS!

We are always in need for good modules, so having a good calendar, as other mentioned already, would be very beneficial for the XOOPS Community.

Thank you again for the willingness to update/re-develop your modules!
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

AndyM
  • 2010/9/28 22:14

• AndyM

• Quite a regular

Thanks for the replies and support!

I've set up a project page for it - I would appreciate it if anyone has any feature requests to add them to the tracker.

Mamba
  • 2010/9/29 2:16

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Fantastic! This is great news!

Thanks for joining back the XOOPS Team!

I am sure, a lot of people will be looking forward to the AM Events module!
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Login

Who's Online

231 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 231

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits