GPboarder
XOOPS vs. Wordpress - How are we doing? Which is better?
  • 2010/9/16 20:04

• GPboarder

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2006/10/6

Perhaps a loaded question in this forum! I'm not looking for any Wordpress bashing.

I've just read through this post discussing Wordpress and have some questions.

A XOOPS site I have had for a couple of years is up for a re-birth and the committee responsible has put out an RFP. One of the proposals that came back suggests starting a brand new site with Wordpress.

The argument is that Wordpress has evolved to be a full CMS.

I'm not trying to start a debate, but am wondering what, if any the advantages/disadvantages of XOOPS vs Wordpress are.
Personally, I find XOOPS easy to use now, but didn't at first. Too many options and too little documentation on the finer points.

Current XOOPS site has CBB, WF-Downloads, WF-Links, and Marquee. Registration page is lengthy and detailed.

Is security comparable between the two?

The Wordpress interface seems a little more user friendly in the way plugins are installed, but does this present any concerns?

From the developer side, is it more about what you are most comfortable with rather than an objective evaluation?

Thanks.

Optimism is the mother of disappointment.

option
Re: XOOPS vs. Wordpress - How are we doing? Which is better?
  • 2010/9/16 20:42

• option

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/5/24

Terran (Xoops) vs Protoss (wordpress) xD.........

playsome
  • 2010/9/17 22:44

• playsome

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2009/4/15

Hello, as a user of both xoops and wordpress I thought I would give my oppinion.

I dont really think you can argue which is better it really depends on what you want to do or what you want the CMS to do for you.

Perhaps discussing some pros and cons of both systems might be a good idea..

I feel xoops is better for sectioning content i.e a news section, a gallery section, a static content section, etc, in my experience with wordpress I dont think you can do that type of thing with plugins, you can add pages though, I could be wrong but thats why I like xoops better for some things.

On a module/plugin debate wordpress has more plugins and therefore more functionality, xoops modules are still a bit all over the place right now and there are alot of half finsihed unsupported modules some of which are really good which makes it a shame they are not completely finished or supported. Xoops does have a decent forum module and other good modules which wordpress does not have though(i dont think).

From a developer point of view...hmm i prefer xoops but ive been working xoops for a long time and i know how to use it, nothing too advanced but i know how to create themes form scratch, modify templates and some php code so I find xoops easier to use in that respect but only because I havent really tried to learn wordpress.

From a user point of view i would say wordpress is easier to use, the xoops core i find is very easy to use(system module) however some modules are rather confusing to use on the admin side and if you couple that with the different frameworks you may need and bugs then it can become a bit of a nightmare, with that being said though there are a lot of easy to use, stable modules.

As for security, im not sure about that one, I believe xoops is pretty secure and the core team are usually quick to patch a core security flaw, however modules are a different story. Ive not heard of any major module security flaws recently though.

To be perfectly honest i think it all boils down to what you need from the CMS, maybe let your project stakeholders mess around and evaluate both of them and see what they think.

iunderwood

Here are some things that you need to consider before making a switch.

Who will be supporting the site after it's rebirth?

Does the future direction of the site require features that Wordpress can only provide today?

Is there the intent to carry over any of the site content? If so, who is going to do that?

Is the rebirth borne of a stale template, or a missing function?

What I will give Wordpress and some of the other larger systems is that their mayor modules seem to be more plentiful and better supported at times. However with a larger community comes a much larger pile of crap to sift through, in my experience.
++I;
Resized Image

Login

Who's Online

126 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 126

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits