Catzwolf
Xoops module developers: Reporting bugs
  • 2010/7/5 14:14

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

For the last few weeks I have been developing on the latest stable release and I have found many issues and bugs that could easily be fixed. But like many developers, I tend to work around the problem and code my own solution and I tend never to think about reporting the bug.

Now, I know that I am not alone here and today I decided to test on Xoops 2.4.5 and I found a bug that should have had module developers screaming 'We need this fixed'. I went to see if this had been reported and there was a fix and to my surprise, no one reported this, and the bug is still in SVN.

Now for those concerned about this issue, here is a link to it and you will see why this could be a major problem in the long run.

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3025455&group_id=41586&atid=430840

I would urge all developers to take sometime out to report a bug when they find one, rather than just finding a work around to the issue.

I urge all developers to bookmark this link and if you find a bug, please take 5 minutes of your time to track it and help out.

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=41586&atid=430840

Thanks peeps :)

Mamba
Re: Xoops module developers: Reporting bugs
  • 2010/7/5 14:26

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

The main issue is that we don't do enough testing.

As a module developer we should be testing the beta and RC XOOPS releases to make sure that our modules are running correctly.

That's why it is so important to have tests built-in for the modules:

a) units tests in code (see also this article)

b) user interaction tests

so when a new release comes, we can quickly run the tests and make sure that our modules are working correctly.

I would like to challenge all developers to study Unit Testing and IDE testing, so we can improve the quality of XOOPS releases, and discover all bugs before the Final Release, and not after.

And as Catzwolf said - let's report any bugs as soon as we see them.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Login

Who's Online

168 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 168

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits