Peekay
Re: Ok, I'm DONE with Smartsection
  • 2010/6/14 15:25

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

That is a lot of articles!. Perhaps MySQL is timing out?

I'm guessing that if MySQL freezes you probably won't get any Xoops debug info?.

As underdog says, knowing the Xoops, PHP and MySQL versions is important. More importantly, you need to build the site on your localhost using the same PHP and MySQL versions that your live server has. Otherwise, you may get it working on localhost, only to find it fails online.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

mboyden
  • 2010/6/14 15:28

• mboyden

• Since: 2005/3/9 1

I understand your feelings about SmartSection. SmartFactory seems to have made the decision to move forward with the i-c-m-s fork and appears to be forgoing any efforts towards fixing any past compatibility issues here, so long-term, my plan is to abandon it in my XOOPS projects. However, I haven't migrated mine yet and continue to use a modified (bug-fixed) version of it in my projects.

One of the problems I've been running into with SmartSection comes from the way it pulls data related to the categories. It pulls ALL the data including the description and such to just display the category info. If you have robust category description pages, then that can be a LOT of data. Increasing the memory for the php scripts can help reduce this. I don't know if that's your problem, but it could be.

I know there are several other content modules out there that can meet this functionality, but don't yet know how they compare. If you do a look at them all, please give feedback as to what worked or didn't and why. I'll be looking for one with robust permissioning like this module among other things and support. This module has been a great tool, though.
Pessimists see difficulty in opportunity; Optimists see opportunity in difficulty. --W Churchill

XOOPS: Latest | Debug | Hosting and Web Development

underdog
  • 2010/6/14 15:32

• underdog

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/6/21

Peekay is right.
We first need more information though.
At which point do you get those blank pages, for example.
During setting permissions?
It's still Xoops 2.4.4 and PHP 5.3+ and SmartSection 2.15 (Wishcraft's version)

If publisher does not have the problem and SmartSection does, then some more information would help.

If you set up your localhost again, like in your previous problem (PHP 5.2!) can you reproduce the problem.

And just to be clear.
the post on impress forum is locked, because you also opened a topic on the Xoops forum (which is no problem at all), so no replies will be on your post on that forum.

@mboyden:
Quote:
appears to be forgoing any efforts towards fixing any past compatibility issues here
can you explain what you mean with forgoing?

chefry
  • 2010/6/14 17:44

• chefry

• Home away from home

• Since: 2006/10/14

As posted MANY times before on the impress forums, It's Xoops 2.4.4 and my host is running

MySQL version 5.0.90-community
Apache version 2.0.63
PHP version 5.2.12
Operating system Linux

When people click on the link to the database from the menu block on the left of the screen, they are given a list of categories and subcategories.

That list is supposed to show the category/subcategory name, number of articles, and the name of the last article.

It will not show the number of articles or the name of the last article unless you set the read permission for each individual group.

I was making some changes in the Preferences screen. When I clicked on GO, i was left with a screen that showed very little. not in the xoops framework, white screen, listing the preferences, go to module, etc, and showing the tabs. When it does that, i know that the entire module has collapsed. It even takes out the home page, because there are smartsection blocks there. Disabling smartsection gives me back the website, but that's all. No Smartsection.

As explained earlier, to fix it i have to export mysql, uninstall smartsection (including deleting it from the server), do a fresh upload and install, go into mysql, delete the newly created smartsection tables, on my computer, extract the smartsection tables and dump files, create a new sql. gzip it, and import it into the mysql.

then the website, and smartsection works again, except that nobody can see any articles. Resetting the permissions to view and submit articles isn't enough. You have to go into each individual subcategory and set the read permission for it, and all the articles inside it. It's at that point that it crashes.

The last time it happened, it took me ALL day, and about 5 tries before I got all the permissions set. Every time you set the permissions you can go a little bit further down the list then the previous time. But there are NO shortcuts. You can't open a series of multiple tabs and then close the tab as soon as you get the "Database has been updated" screen. you have to do it all one at a time, and wait for the page to totally refresh..

Can I ask you, bjuti, did you create all those articles, categories and subcategories using publisher, or did you import it all from smartsection? I tried Publisher, really nice looking module, but Trabis says right on his website that at the present time it will not import from subcategories

I'll give my entire MYSQL to anyone who wants to play with it, or if you want, just the smartsection tables and dump files. just pm me your email address and play with it as much as you want

trabis
  • 2010/6/14 18:10

• trabis

• Core Developer

• Since: 2006/9/1 1

You can try this steps:
- Remove smartsection files.
- Install publisher and use the clone function to make new module called smartsection. (you will need to set write permissions to modules folder)
- Look into publisher sql file and manually apply the changes in smartsection tables in database.
- Update smartsection(publisher)

Notice that item images will be lost(unless you are using bbcode for images)

Publisher has better performance, uses less memory and although it is in pre-alpha stage, it is being used on many sites with big size tables.

Mboyden described the main problem of smartsection very well. It loads all fields for each object and parse them even when they are not to be displayed. Even a categories dropdown can bring your server to the knees if you have many of them.

I'm not available for publisher development at the moment. It will probably be uploaded to xoops sourceforge so others can help with it.

chefry
  • 2010/6/14 18:13

• chefry

• Home away from home

That explains one thing. My old host told me my website was using up most of the computing power of the server, it always ran hot. and when they moved me from a php5 server to a php4 server (back when everyone changed to php5) it kept overloading the php 4 server and shutting it down. At that time I was getting about 3,500 unique visitors a day

What do you mean by manually applying the changes Trabis? do you mean just importing the tables and dump files?

trabis
  • 2010/6/14 18:23

• trabis

• Core Developer

• Since: 2006/9/1 1

Well, publisher uses some extra columns on some tables so you will have to manually insert them.
You will NOT DELETE anything in the smartsection tables, just add the missing columns and/or rename columns and/or add extra keys and/or add extra tables.

Open your database manager and compare the smartsection tables structure with the publisher one. Apply the differences.

Please backup first. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, I may find some time to help you with it. Let me know.

chefry
  • 2010/6/14 18:50

• chefry

• Home away from home

yeah, to tell the truth i wouldn't want to try something like that on my own :(

bjuti
  • 2010/6/14 22:10

• bjuti

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2009/1/7 2

Quote:
Can I ask you, bjuti, did you create all those articles, categories and subcategories using publisher, or did you import it all from smartsection?

It's scripted, from svn file.

chefry
  • 2010/6/15 6:50

• chefry

• Home away from home

So, you didn't import from smartsection?

Login

Who's Online

160 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 160

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits