trabis
Re: What a ranker!
  • 2010/5/22 13:31

• trabis

• Core Developer

• Since: 2006/9/1 1

Catz,

We have many people able to do core development but there is no visible gratitude coming from DJ(leader of core teams).

As long as DJ keeps his solitude attitude there is no way we can work as a team.

We do not need core developers because core production is compromised.

We need people that, in their absolute freedom, can create and deliver code.

I'll be stepping into module development and get my way around the 'core' brick wall. And I'll have fun!

vamptrix
  • 2010/5/22 13:31

• vamptrix

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2008/5/3 1

I can understand Wishcraft and Catzwolfs anger, and I somewhat tend to agree with them that Mamba should have warned/notificated them from before.

I also hope that any problems currently happening between XOOPS and Wishcraft get solved - and in my eyes, this is pouring oil on fire.

PS: Peekay, I did it xD
I used to use this account, but no longer.

Catzwolf
  • 2010/5/22 13:37

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Did you even ask me? No, you assumed and it would have been nice if Wishcraft, Trabis and Myself were given the opportunity to discuss this with you or DJ in any capacity.

As I have said to you and Dj many times, I'm really not prepared to put in a lot of work and effort into developing Xoops knowing damn well that nothing of it is going to be used. (Dj as already informed me a long time ago that when and if he ever finished version 3, then nothing of the work we have done will be used.

In reality, leadership starts at the top and it is DJ's responsibility to get the people around him working as a team. You talk to me about egos? I have told you many times I will work with anyone to get Xoops up and running, I will make mountings out of mole hills to work as a team. Yet, every time we talk you berate me and the other developers for having an ego, when all the while DJ is off on his own refusing to work with any of us.

You asked the other developers of EXM, Simple Xoops and Xoosla to come back and work on Xoops yet what happened? Nothing from any of these CMS's were implemented into Xoops? Why? All due to the lack of leadership.

Tell you what, you make Eduardo lead developer of Xoops, get Trabis, furMuzz, Kris, Myself and anyone else who wants to take the Xoops core seriously, and knowing that our work will mean a damn, get back to me. If not, stop wasting our time.

Catzwolf
  • 2010/5/22 13:41

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

@Trabis,

I just wrote a post exactly about this, I agree we have a team but we have a leader who just doesn't want to work with us in any capacity. I for one cannot work like that. If we work on Xoops we work from the same roadmap, same agenda and in the same direction.

If DJ wants to work on Xoops on his own, then let it be, but the only people that suffer is the Xoops users and it isn't fair on them.

Xoops is dying, everyone I know (personally) that used Xoops has either gone to Joomla or Drupal.

As I said, I will work with the right leader, someone who has vision, someone who can get the best out of people.Right now, DJ doesn't fill any checks on the box there.

vamptrix
  • 2010/5/22 13:56

• vamptrix

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2008/5/3 1

Catzwolfs words hold a lot of truth, from what I've heard from others. And by the way, why is there so less news about XOOPS 3... how long isn't it being developed after all?..
I used to use this account, but no longer.

trabis
  • 2010/5/22 14:08

• trabis

• Core Developer

• Since: 2006/9/1 1

Hi agree with Catz.
I think is time for the community to make a decision:
Stay on the dark corner hoping that DJ will save us, or burn our last matches and find a way out of the cage.

Xoops should be powered by us.

Mamba
  • 2010/5/22 14:37

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
Catzwolfs words hold a lot of truth, from what I've heard from others.

And what did you hear exactly?

Quote:
And by the way, why is there so less news about XOOPS 3... how long isn't it being developed after all?..

DJ changed jobs 3-4 weeks ago, and moved to another city. Understandably, he had less time for XOOPS while he was looking for a job, and then needed to find new apartment, and now is in process of learning his new job.

Sometimes we forget that he is also just a volunteer on this project as everybody else here.

Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Catzwolf
  • 2010/5/22 14:56

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

Quote:

DJ changed jobs 3-4 weeks ago, and moved to another city. Understandably, he had less time for XOOPS while he was looking for a job, and then needed to find new apartment, and now is in process of learning his new job.

Sometimes we forget that he is also just a volunteer on this project as everybody else here.

I'm sorry for Dj for having to go through that, and I can sympathise with him, But, at the end of the day, Xoops should not stop because of one man's life has turned upside down, and really, this reiterates the need for change in the development structure and how we work together.

For example:

1. Where is the Xoops Roadmap for v3
2. Why do we not have a place of discussion, that users, coders, graphic artists and theme designers can work on the ins and outs of every step of development?
3. Why is there no repository in sourceforge for Xoops v3? Or one that is being used and kept up to date.
4. Why are developers just being handed out willy nilly version of Xoops that they can work on? Again, wouldn't it be quicker and easier for all of us to work on one version at a time.
5. Why are more than 4 different version of Xoops being worked on without no real direction? If we are going to work on more than one version, then one should only be two, the first for bugs and security issues only and the other is the actual working branch/version.

But, honestly, DJ should have had something workable by now. I did Zarilia in a year on my own. Xoosla refactoring in three months, Eduardo did Exm in a shorter time and the same with Simple Xoops.

Sorry but the way Xoops is developed has to change, or by the time Xoops v3 does come out, there might not be anyone there to use it.

John

noo-b
  • 2010/5/22 15:14

• noo-b

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2007/10/23

Quote:
Tell you what, you make Eduardo lead developer of Xoops, get Trabis, furMuzz, Kris, Myself and anyone else who wants to take the Xoops core seriously, and knowing that our work will mean a damn, get back to me. If not, stop wasting our time.

i'm a nobody but would like to say something

i agree with this...give the job to someone who can lead...
for the moment...

dj is welcome back anytime to the core team when he can
find time....

before this an early alpha/beta of xoops 3.0 is promised in march/april...right now is already end of May 2010...if you go to xoops china..the users there are also mad of the broken promise for xoops 3.0

The core is quite stable right now 2.45...thanks to all who contributed the work from 2.018 to 2.3. to 2.4

i'm happy with the core...right now i have several sites running 2.44 ..will upgrade later when 2.45 come out

what xoops user like me want right now is new feature in xoops core......

eduardo is doing excellent in his rmcommon framework and is one of the best addition to xoops since the merge of xoops 2.0 and 2.2

and what about the 2.5 ajax develop by xoops france team...what is xoops next plan?...
if xoops 3.0 comes out...how it will be merge with 2.5 ajax ?
don't repeat the same mistake ... multiple version

any clear roadmap....direction..will be good

no broken promise again..please

I Love xoops !!!!!!
I Love Xoops

ptomter
  • 2010/5/22 15:38

• ptomter

• Just popping in

• Since: 2009/3/31

I have a web developing company in Norway that has a vision to sell the best systems that suit my client’s needs. I have used systems like; Drupal, Joomla, Dotnetnuke, Ubmraco and many other phpnuke systems. I found Xoops very satisfying testing it over a period and recommended it to my new customers. And my firm has also put a lot of money in module developing. We have many times considered contributing and donating money to Xoops, but have not done this due to the recent events with lack of management of Xoops and team spirit. A community and system like Xoops is all about team building and working together. Not tear each other apart. I and people I know has visions for Xoops and it has potential but then something radical need to be done and quick if we ever going to see the day of Xoops version 3.

Login

Who's Online

233 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 233

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits