Catzwolf
Re: How to identify url paths for Custom Blocks
  • 2010/5/17 2:51

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Hey,

First, you original question is rather vague and that could be put down to your lack of knowledge regarding Xoops.

I'm going to make a stab in the dark and try and answer you and I hope that I'm going in the right direction.

When you create a new custom block, the information is stored in the database and not in a flat file (I'm assuming this is how you think custom block information is stored) and to access this custom block and to display it, is done through block Administration.

In the Block admin, you have the ability to select on custom modules to be displayed within the listing. You can edit the block from there and select which position you would like the block to appear, just like another other 'module' blocks.

You can also, if you know PHP well enough, venture into the world of templates and SQL queries to get block information and display the block via smarty.... But, I don't think this is where you would like to venture..

Tall me if I have got it wrong and we can discuss this more and hopefully get your question answered.

TexAcoon
  • 2010/5/17 3:04

• TexAcoon

• Just popping in

• Since: 2010/5/10

Thanks Catzwolf ..

You guessed right! ...

That was my issue when creating a new custom block, the information is stored in the database and not in a flat file.
I did get the ones that I wanted "viewed" and blocked according to my needs on the site ..

However, what I kept looking for was in the database .. Not problem there .. I can go into MYPHP admin and find it in my database without any issues .. I just figure the custom blocks would have more of a logical link that I could direct to my theme.html format.

Do appreciate your response . YUP! your right, not that good with this yet .. but I'm already better than I was a week ago ..

The only other issues I am running into is some of the errors that I get on some of these modules that you can download .. I do check to see if they are comp to my version of Xoops 2.4.4 .. Some only show up to 2.4.3 and not sure if thats part of the language issue with the upgrades .. Just hate having to chase errors messages all over the site when it should be fairly easy and 90% operational ..

I have three other sites online now using PHP .. This third site I am currently working on is something new all together using Xoops .. No complaints .. just a different feel ...

Thanks!
TexAcoon

Catzwolf
  • 2010/5/17 10:16

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

@ TexAcoon:

Welcome to the word of Xoops.

Like most issues with modules, there will be issues arising from newer core version and that will cause issues for you the user.

When you encounter an error, blank page and the module doesn't work as expected, follow these simple rules:

1. Turn on PHP debugging (See the manual to turn or wiki on how to do this) or

Dealing with errors on my Xoops Website

2. If you find anything that can be used to help aid you in fixing the problem/s, come here and create a new topic using the information to help provide a solution.

Other advice for you concerning older modules. Try not to use them. Most modules that are over 3 years old tend to be buggy, out of date were PHP is concerned and will tend to be insecure. Try using an alternative module that is actively being developed even if it is not your first choice.

Sorry, the best advice I can offer you.

ATB,

John

Login

Who's Online

209 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 209

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits